Integration Post #2

Here is the first video of interaction between a larger lady and a Rascal.

Of course the Rascal was my rule breaker, Lady Featherington. When I opened the door to let them out into their little fenced in grassy area, LF had another idea. She had decided to beach the fence and ran out and flew into my flimsy fence hitting it towards the top, bending it over with her bulk and flipping outside.

That was what told me it was time to take the fence down. Here is LF interacting with Sydney. The first of the larger ladies to investigate things.

That went really well!!

I would normally guess Sydney....BUT since you said it may help smooth out the integration...then it has to be Phyllis, as she would definitely fight the youngsters to keep her spot...and Sydney is a bit calmer. Hoping that if I am right about it being Phyllis, that she is back up to her normal weight after her last broody spell..:fl..it can be quite taxing on their bodies!
You were correct! It is Phyllis. Great job reasoning it out.

Lulu’s First Egg!
Today Lulu laid her first egg. It is pale blue and totally perfect.
It is also very tiny! It weighs 28.7g (about an ounce). The last egg laid in the Chicken Palace (Dotty) was just over double the size.
The whole event was quite sweet. She took the best part of two hours selecting which nest box to use. She went in and out of the upper and lower levels with Bernadette in tow.
When she eventually settled on the best spot Bernadette stood outside shouting the whole time!
I am a little sad she isn’t my baby any more, but still very proud of her tiny egg. Maybe I will have a miniature egg sandwich for lunch today.
Congratulations Lulu.
View attachment 3222731
Can you blow the egg out and save the shell?? It is a lovely egg!

Lulu’s First Egg!
Today Lulu laid her first egg. It is pale blue and totally perfect.
It is also very tiny! It weighs 28.7g (about an ounce). The last egg laid in the Chicken Palace (Dotty) was just over double the size.
The whole event was quite sweet. She took the best part of two hours selecting which nest box to use. She went in and out of the upper and lower levels with Bernadette in tow.
When she eventually settled on the best spot Bernadette stood outside shouting the whole time!
I am a little sad she isn’t my baby any more, but still very proud of her tiny egg. Maybe I will have a miniature egg sandwich for lunch today.
Congratulations Lulu.
View attachment 3222731
What a adorable little blue egg. It is funny that while I don't strive to have a blue egg layer blue is actually my favorite color. That egg is very very close to the color I want to paint my walls when I redo my bedroom next year.

Integration Update #7

Well Phyllis found them. I wish I had thought to turn on the cameras in the run but I just plain forgot and when I remembered it was all over.

Phyllis went into the run and tried to ride Gucci. Gucci got away by running through the feed dispenser. Phyllis stood in the middle of the run and started scratching. Saying this is my space.

I don't know what started it, likely someone bumped her but Gucci went off flapping and running and headed straight at Phyllis. Phyllis dodged her and decided she had intimidated them enough and left the run to eat more before headed back onto the nest.

It was all very dramatic and did not take more than 2 minutes.

No hens or pullets were injured but there was a lot of flapping of wings.

More Guessing Games

In other news of note, while i was away yesterday, someone took a dip in the pool! This individual was able to get up in the seats and stand up. Why they did not simply fly out from there..... well.....I can only assume they liked the cool water on their feet. 😆

Mrs BY Bob actually had to get in the pool to get them out.

Guessing time. Who went for a dip yesterday? Post your guess and then check.

View attachment 3222767

Sydney was screaming her lungs off sounding the alarm apparently. I think Hattie might have been pleased to see her off. 😉
Glynda....ever curious and getting into trouble. Plus, a good flyer, hence the 'why didn't she fly out'. Gucci , imo, is still too timid and might not fly in the correct direction, and Lady F might not have been able to get enough lift if her wings were wet....and, lastly, Eowyen doesn't have wings. This is all on the assumption that it is a 'new girl' as the others wouldn't go into the pool unless frightened by something. If it was one of the 'old guard, I have no idea other than 'not Phyllis'

Hattie has taken up position at the entrance to the big run. She was laying there until I got up to take her photo. She took up this spot after running off Betty. The Rascals are in the run with Hattie between them and the others.

View attachment 3222814
That is amazing, especially considering her normal behavior when molting!:loveSweet Hattie!:love

Back
Top Bottom