For those that are wondering if acetaminophen can be safely provided to chickens, this study is fairly conclusive.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2997462/

I can find nothing on dosing though. It does seem that the dose used in the study is safe but I can't tell if it would be effective or not.
I wonder if the Diclofenic dose was too high to begin with.

injected at 10mg/kg; this would that be an appropriate dose for oral dosing? I think that is what someone here posted.

Acetaminophen (Tylenol) 10mg/kg twice a day… ? Can’t remember who posted.

My little guy needs something for his discomfort
Do you have a pharmacy nearby?

So liquid Tylenol for kids contains acetaminophen 160mg/5ml

Or

32mg/ml

One would need to reduce that dose further to 0.5ml (would be 16mg so appropriate for a 1.5kg bird or 3lb bird).

someone pleas check my calculations…. Thnx.

Really good to know if this is so.

Edit:
@RoyalChick

Yes - that is the study I found too - their dosing was also IM.
I found two other studies - one used 10mg/kg orally in geese, and one looking for LD50 in chicks but that was also IM.
It seems like consensus of studies on dosing is 10mg/kg and it seems the safety margin is reasonably broad so safe to use that dosing even in a home setting with inevitable inaccuracies in weight and volume measurements.
I think I would go with the 10mg/kg dose and achieve that by diluting the kids oral stuff using a 1ml syringe.
Can you see my reply to Alex re liquid Tylenol. I think that 0.5ml would be 16mg this adequate for a 3lb bird.

The Tylenol is 160mg/5ml

We skipped summer altogether. Cheetah, Nellie, Pippa, and Twirp are all under the deck by the woodpile. They were the only ones willing to brave the snow.View attachment 3444534
Oh, this is good. Measurable amount at least! Hope it will stay for a while on the mountains and melt slow for your spring/summer. (I'm also hoping that the Mts. got more!)

Plus, this isn't such a huge amount to be miserable shoveling, etc.!

Poor chickies don't like it though. When I do big clean outs of the coop every weekend, I toss the 'old bedding' onto the shoveled parts of the run to given them dry footing. And, if it rains mid-week, I toss the duck bedding (daily change!) out, and will keep the best of the weekend bedding in a large bucket type container to toss out mid-week when rain forecasted. Strategy works fine except for when we have a week straight to rain! (otherwise, most of bedding goes into compost pile....it grows so quick here!)

Compost, snow, and bedding tax:

Caught these girls working hard turning the compost
IMG_2158[1].JPG

This guy had just 'escaped' and was calling the girls to come check out what he had found in the compost pile. (it had just recently been cleaned out, so there was only about a week's worth there) They worked hard enough that there was no visible snow on it by the end of the day!
IMG_2293[1].JPG

Back
Top Bottom