Can anyone tell me the point of these ceramic eggs? Does it motivate the chicken to lay eggs?
View attachment 3444860
Yes, Grandma. I gave you fake brown eggs (didn't actually buy them). I hope this motivates you to lay again so the three others don't do all the work.
View attachment 3444863
It doesn't necessarily motivate them to lay, it is more that those fake eggs in a nest box indicate to the hens that THIS is a SAFE place to lay.

It doesn't necessarily motivate them to lay, it is more that those fake eggs in a nest box indicate to the hens that THIS is a SAFE place to lay.
SHRA:
IMG_2632[1].JPG

Hey, ma, when you gonna finish construction and get this lumber out of our home? It's blocking my view of the lovely ladies' derrières when they drink!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Awwww hopefully she will get all broody again.

Do you think she would take on more babies right now? I have had broodmares that took on foals after I weened off their own foals, they were so baby desperate they took another foal!

Meanwhile I am desperately waiting to see if one of my gals will go broody 🥺
I'm not going to try it to see. I think health wise it would be in Chiquita's best interest if she would take at least a month break or longer before she attempts to go broody again once she is completely done. She was sitting and trying to hatch sawdust for 5 weeks before I gave her the Marshmallows. They are 7 weeks old now. She needs a break to focus all her energy on herself and regain some body weight. I do not think she really lost a lot of weight, maybe half a pound, but she does feel a little lighter when I pick her up. For a tiny hen though that half a pound is a lot.

Birds like legbars and Bielefelder are auto sexing so that when they hatch the pullets are a different colour than the males maybe you can find some place that has autosexing birds…?
For me, it’s more about what happens to the unwanted males. I no longer want to contribute to the hatchery industry where the little baby male chicks suffer. I’d rather buy from a place that is as humane as possible, even if I can’t get the breeds I want.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom