We have a name.
20230602_064934.jpg
This is Zulu. The invasion is happening. 1st chick to figure out how to get out. Last night all were under "mama". This morning, let the adults out and opened lid on babies. 5 on top of mama. No more to be found, until Zulu came out from behind the tote next to my toes. 1 more gets out and their ground door will be opened.

I am so glad Gaston will have his own Girls.🥰 Since they chose him, there won't be any issues about him trying to win over Theo's girls, and since he has quite a few already, hopefully Theo won't try to 'steal' Gaston's

The white leghorns look lovely, and have that characteristic stance and tail - but they look a bit more 'full bodied' than our American versions (@BY Bob , do you agree, or is my perspective off?🤔) And your BCM are lovely, though I suspect @RebeccaBoyd would say they would look even lovelier (especially give you are IN France) if they were FBMC - with the feathered legs! :lau

I do hope all continue to thrive with your care. They do look quite content in their new surroundings - and I suspect it won't be long before the leghorns have fine tuned their take-off, landing, and flight path calculations! :D
The Marans cross do have feathered legs. Lily more than Kara, but they both do. It's not something I'm too happy about - half of my chickens with feathered legs tend to pull them off and make them bleed during spring and fall. Harcos don't have them so I was hoping they wouldn't.

Not sure if anyone can help guessing their age ? I was told six months but I feel they are younger. They still talk and play and giggle like pullets.
IMG_20230602_083100.jpg

Oh gosh. How sweet. One is named Lily. That's wonderful.

I am excited to hear that they seem to have some of the same personality that American leghorns have. One question if that is ok, how big are they in relation to your other chickens? They look a little wider than our leghorns.

My Lilly

View attachment 3526488View attachment 3526489View attachment 3526490

And just for @RoyalChick her shiny feathers.
View attachment 3526491
Lily was truly a gorgeous hen 💚.
Please do ask any questions you have, I'll be glad to answer and I know how interested you are in Leghorns !
So, I would say they are almost the size of my smallest ex-batt Blanche, however they are built very differently. They seem longer + higher and less large, if this makes sense. They have a very small and narrow butt compared to their size !
Here are two pictures, the first next to Blanche, my smallest Ex-batt, and the second next to Nougat who is the biggest.
IMG_20230602_144931.jpg

IMG_20230602_144646.jpg

I felt bad as I know we haven't made a wise move getting adult chickens from a local breeder, who turned out to be not trust worthy, while we have sick chickens in our flock. But now I've acknowledged our mistakes I'll do what I can and hope for the best.

The visitor

Couldn’t load these yesterday

Even the 3 week old school chicks had a good look

View attachment 3526470View attachment 3526471View attachment 3526472View attachment 3526469View attachment 3526473
I love the one of the 3 teens all lined up looking at it! ❤️ That was my favorite part of the video, too, watching their curiosity, but sticking together!

You should submit that for the caption contest! I like it for POW, too, but not sure if it is the kind they want????

I believe that both of these are 1/2 cuckoo, but honestly, I do not know for sure. I have been straight out, and really didn't want her broody for a full week before putting eggs under her, so just grabbed some random eggs that were decent (i.e. not too small - pullet eggs, nor odd shaped nor funky shell, (calcium globs) nor dirty). I had already collected the eggs, and they were all in a basket, so not even sure where they came from (which coop), so they could be just about any mix. The ones with puffy cheeks obviously have at least part EE (either 1/2, or 1/4 from my last year's mutts) But they could also be form my route 66 coop, and be 100% EE??:idunno While it is too early to be absolutely sure, both oft he barred ones look like they are part CM. That said, some of my mixes that were 1/2 BR and 1/2 DC or EE have has the more uneven barring like a CM. I won't be able to tell until they get a full set of feathers. I know a straight X pea comb should be a pea comb, but that isn't always what I have gotten...so I can't even rely on that 100%.

I don't have ANY social media accounts other than this and Pinterest, so I have no place to upload a video to, to then download it here. That's why I only post pictures. I hate the idea of 'Internet big brother' spying on me. It is bad enough that whenever I buy something online I start getting ads for related things! When I searched for Shade tarps to get links for @Ponypoor , I have since gotten non-stop ads for all sorts of tarps! (including ones for hauling/transporting Bees!!)

Thank you for putting the effort in for that reply. ❤️ I should not worry/try to figure it out before it is time. It/they will reveal themselves to me in good time! Unlike others, while I would prefer pullets as I have enough roosters right now, it isn't a travesty if they are all roosters.

Edited to add: yes, they are my White Rock's chicks.
1. Transporting bees isn’t a bad thing
2. You have to admit that we all are a bit Cuckoo on BYC
Do the math.

The white rock is a first time mama, right? Enjoy the antics, evaluate her mama skills and delight in watching them grow.

Slightly (more than) unrelated question. White rocks and dark Cornish are crossed for the cornish X fast growing meat birds. Does the cornish crossed with ANY Plymouth Rock have the same results (aside from feather color)?
The white rocks, supposedly, are a bit faster to fill out/mature, but I haven't found that to be true. I suspect it was for the white feathers for carcass look. That said, I can certainly see why they used the DC. About 1/2 of my DC crossed have that very full breast of them, and some added size if they were crossed with a heavier bird. (Most of my EEs are far lighter than my BR or WR - I'm not sure where Aurora gets her size from! I would eventually like to create my own meat bird cross - as I've mentioned before. I'm fine with the normal grow - out rate, but I want the roosters to be 'more than drumstick' as my husband says!

I had a good first generation, but 2 years ago we kept losing power, so only a few hatched (3, but 1 very weak and died), and last year, clearly my incubator had been effected by brownouts, etc, as I had one duckling hatch . I think the temp was off. I ordered a new incubator, and had planned on getting an electronic thermometer as a back up, but this year has gotten away from me, and I've lost most of my first gen. (I have Nappie, for the boy, and one girl and that is it...and I lost my white rock roo and knight - both were my 'start' for breeding stock. Last years ordered chicks, I ordered straight run white rocks, but none of the boys had what would be considered 'normal size' for a white rock boy - they were all on the small side...so I didn't keep any.

o, back to square one. :( Maybe next year. I will have to order some DC straight run and some White rock straight run EARLY, so you get the best, most vigorous chicks (no idea why early season chicks are, overall, more vigorous:confused:?)

Okay, way to much chat with no pics, so here are a few:

Fluffy bottoms of some 'bathing beauties'

IMG_3266[1].JPG

In the jungle, the mighty jungle: (we are behind on mowing - the girls are liking the seed heads, but need to mow at least part so they have some tender new growth to nibble)

IMG_3268[1].JPG

And, just for @BY Bob , my pretend brown leghorn says 'hello':frow
(my Welsummer masquerading as a Brown leggy, 'cause she knows Bob likes leghorns - she thinks she can convince him she is one - especially since the comb is starting to get floppy. Bob knows better - but don't tell her that - she has a crush on him, I think!:gig)
IMG_3305[1].JPG
IMG_3307[1].JPG

Hi FBA.....Hubbies been feeding the big chooks every morning. I still have the silkies in the house until Im positive no more rats. They are gonna get their heads trimmed though lol they are so dirty. I gave them some yogurt for breakfast this morning. Only one tried it while i was in the room. It was the fizzle Rain. So my father in law called my hubby over there and gave him a bunch of stuff. He has been dividing it between his daughter and son. He has cancer all through his body so this will be the last year with us. I talked to him when he was over here doing something and he is gonna give me some expensive lighthouse pictures. I do hope he hangs on longer. He is my only dad right now and my dad also died of cancer so this has been traumatizing to me. And my brother in law just had his pancreas removed for cancer. I hate Cancer!
:hugs:hugs:hugs
Yes, cancer is bad, and some forms of it wreak havoc on the person while slowly killing them. My heart goes out to you and your Father-In-Law.

Back
Top Bottom