A Very Special Fluffy Bum

We took Eve to paint ceramics the last time she was home and I poisoned a little Hattie!

20230609_191614.jpg
20230609_191607.jpg

Last edited:
:frow
In my defense, let me see you try and break momma hen successfully, or Chiquita for that matter. You might break momma once, 3 weeks later she will have found a even more inaccessible spot.
Ceramic eggs. Have you ever tried just swapping the eggs out?

Yep but now that I have dealt with Fluffy and Curly, then now poor Sophia, I have decided broodies are a PITA.

Buttercup beat the crap out of Sophia before I could catch her, and now Sophia is lame. She is back on her nest box but I am not going to bring her out with the others around any more; when I bring her out I will just have the tweens and school chicks around for some company if she wishes.

I checked her foot and leg and I just think it’s a sprain. Darn chicken drama, now I feel miserable for hauling her out and for not keeping a closer eye on her 😢

Gosh I love this chick she hops up on my arm, or leg when I crouched down.

View attachment 3535833
I'm so sorry. Such unnecessary drama. They sure feel it is necessary though don't they.

Roosting question:
At what age do they start doing this with a Broody mama generally?

I ask because this morning when I went out to open the pop door and do a wellness check as I do every morning all the chicks (5 weeks old as of today) were up on the roosts! I was quite surprised as I have never witnessed them even step a single toe onto the ladder to go up let alone up all the way up on the roosts.

Tonight I went out to close up and watched Brownie go up with the rest of the bigs but the chicks wouldn’t even try they just headed into the tote and peeped louder and louder till Brownie (I swear she audibly sighed) hopped down and went into the tote with them and quieted down immediately.

So, should I remove the tote to try and break the habit? Clearly they can go up and roost but don’t want to for some reason maybe they are scared to because of the Bigs? Or should I leave it be for another few weeks?
They will follow her eventually. Watching the peer out from under mama while tucked under her wings/between her feet is fun. Don't take the tote until they've gone up several consecutive nights.

:rant
Another chicks has passed and this time dang it, it appears to be Raven's fault. Apparently today she snapped out of her I have to sit phase and she and the chicks were digging all over the coop. It looks like in all her digging she trampled one with her big caveman feet. I now have 0 wyandottes. That is it, tomorrow I am not risking cooping her and them up. The last 2 times she claimed the backyard next to the hay as her territory and had no problems what-so-ever. Tomorrow morning that is where they will go.
Awww. I'm so sorry. :(

Look who is feeling a little bit better. She’s been drinking and eating some. Not much, but it’s a start. And tonight she’s going to stay in the coop, if she can get up to her perch. I’m still not so optimistic about her being well. Her sister Beetov-Hen did the same exact thing. Seems to get better, then found her dead on the coop floor.
Let’s hope Hen-Rietta can beat the odds and stay alive with me for another year!:fl
I’d settle for a few more months or weeks even!

Back
Top Bottom