@Lilion : it's supposedly not supposed to happen, but my first hatch of chicks was also attacked by my rooster Théo. He attacked the broody Chipie as well as long as she kept the chicks, and she defended them fiercely, even though she was much smaller. I think he saw the chicks as strangers who had stolen his girl. They were not his chicks, so maybe he knew it. She was also like yours, being bullied by the rest of the flock, and I think her low status also played a part.
It was frightening enough that I let them live completely separated from him during the day; they were in the same coop at night, though. Real trouble for the chicks began when they were weaned at six weeks, and the rooster quickly took the broody back as "his" hen. She was no longer protecting them. But at six weeks they were sufficiently independent and clever to handle it.

I don't think a time out for your roo Mannie will necessarily change his behaviour, but it will allow the chicks to grow, be less fragile, and when you put him back the rooster will probably be at first more busy with the hens than thinking of the chicks.
On the other hand, I tried separating my rooster for just a few hours daily. I did it both with Théo last year, and again with my other rooster this year to protect his tiny hen Piou-piou who was wounded. They hate it absolutely. I couldn't do that to a rooster for days. It just makes them utterly depressed.

I’m not really legitimate to give advice, as i’m just beginning to see a way out of my rooster drama 🤣. But I agree with @rural mouse. Roosters mate, especially in the morning and evening, it's their main point in life. Why should they hide from you? You're not a dominant rooster. The only thing different I would add, is that for some of my older hens, coming to peck my leg is a way to protect themselves from being mated. So while I let the roosters mate in front of me, I don't let them do it close to the point of almost touching me, that feels like stepping on my foot.

There’s a lot of conflicting advice on how to handle roosters. But if something doesn't seem to make sense to you, you should take it with a grain of salt 🙂.

@notabitail i’m sorry for your loss. You posted lots of beautiful pics of chicken Abigail here. I can't say I feel like I knew her, but I know she was very special to you among your chickens. If or when you feel like it you could post again some of those pics of her.
I feel like you that those moments when you count the chickens are one of the most painful after a loss. It takes time.

Have you set up a few hiding shelves or cages that only the little ones can fit under or through all around the run? Like a little side table top set on bricks they can scoot under, or a doorway propped open they can squeeze through.

@Lilion it becomes something of an obstacle course of things the babies can use to get away. Nothing that can get them cornered but "stuff" everywhere, both inside the coop and out in the run.

@Lilion

I have been meaning to reply, finally have a chance. This is what I do/did.

By all means put your mama and babies out with the other hens, put Mr Bad-boy away for an hour so that the mama and babies can get acquainted with the rest of the flock. I would do this for about a week - even if it's only for 30 min.

As RM and RC say put in a bunch of items for the babies to hide under/behind, and to break the line of sight from the Roo and the other hens.

After 5 or 7 days - whenever you feel comfortable, then put the Roo out with the whole flock, but make sure that mama and the babies can escape if need be. It will take nerves of steel to not intervene but you need to let them work it out. So unless Manny is really going after the babies to hurt them or if he is really attacking mama and won't let her go, let them work it out.

I have a 'persuader stick' (a piece of 1/2" x 1" strapping about 4' long) that I use to herd the chickens and to move ones along that I don't want harassing, say, my broody in the morning when she is eating. I NEVER EVER hit them - just use it to block them or tap their side to move them away. Usually I just tap it on the ground and they will move along.

Do not chase, scream at, or throw things at them - if the Roo is really causing harm try to herd him away, step in between them. I would wear slacks and running shoes in case anyone decides to bit/scratch you. And you can run away real fast hahahaha.

It take patience and repetition, this is not only a learning experience for them, but for you also. I have to say that each introduction is different, what works one time likely wont work the next time - working with animals is like working with kids - they are smart and always looking for ways to get away with things :)
I'm just quoting you all and answering once. I appreciate all the input.

All of you make great points. My biggest problem is Manny is impossible to catch unless it's night time. He and Meanie are pretty much joined at the hip! I tried to close just Meanie in with Eenie and the chicks and they lost their minds screaming out that alarm call.

I'd hoped separating Manny into the new coop one night and leaving him for a week or two would be better. He'd be able to see the ladies, and then him, but it sounds like that's not going to work.

Right now, they have their little run in the coop they can get behind and into, but that's what I'd like to do away with. I'm worried for three chicks, but also Eenie, and I'm not sure what to do here.

Should I just put up places for the chicks, leave her out, and call that good? But if course, I'm jumping the gum. I'll try getting the hens in the coop, Manny in the run, and see how that goes for a bit.

My landline is dead. My modem for internet connection is dead . Patience please. A service technician is scheduled for Monday evening. I can’t find the problem with the phone line.
Hey you back up and running yet young man?

Did you check the junction box outside the house, to see if the wires are all attached securely?

I have them too but know what they look like.
I was just curious about the honey bees - I wade through the mint to put out the trash and recycling, as well as to harvest it for making mint water. As long as I move slowly they don’t seem too bothered by me. Sometimes they brush me on my hand but honestly that feels like a bit of an honor.
My mint is covered in so many types of bees, i love just standing out there with them, we did that last night while i was harvesting. I think i posted a video last year.

For those with roosters:

I was reading on a different thread that we shouldn't let roosters mate in front of us because it means we are lower in the pecking order than the rooster. Is this true?

I spend a lot of time with my chickens, mostly just watching them and relaxing, but lots of the time my eyes are closed and I enjoy just hearing them plucking grass and scratching around, making their little noises. It seems like it might ruin the peace of it if I have to keep watch to make sure Cesario isn't mating in front of me!

By the way, he doesn't seem ready for this yet. It's a hypothetical question.

Cesario :
View attachment 3600793
Such a handsome wee lad - I like him :)

Back
Top Bottom