featherhead007

Enabler
Feb 2, 2017
Tulare County CA.
It's repairs day for me. I replaced the fan motor on the A/C unit in the back house. I'm so glad I have Beetov-Hen here to supervise my work. All morning it's been... "Daddy, Whatcha doin?"
And I stop and explain to her everything I'm doing, and planning,( as she listens intently)!
She's a great construction hen! And great company, as I work.
:love:love:love

BY Bob

Proprietor, Fluffy Butt Acres
Premium Feather Member
Jan 1, 2016
Hershey, PA
It's repairs day for me. I replaced the fan motor on the A/C unit in the back house. I'm so glad I have Beetov-Hen here to supervise my work. All morning it's been... "Daddy, Whatcha doin?"
And I stop and explain to her everything I'm doing, and planning,( as she listens intently)!
She's a great construction hen! And great company, as I work.
:love:love:love
I love when they help me fix things. You are so lucky you did not have to do that alone.

LozzyR

Free Ranging
Mar 30, 2019
NSW, Australia
Would it be Disloyal......

First, I have to say that I know I am coming to the wrong group with this but I am hoping that you all could be honest with me.

Has anyone ever heard of a White Legbar?
View attachment 2343705

Just look at it. Isn't it gorgeous. I never knew they even existed. It looks so much like my beloved white leghorn, except it has a toupee. I love toupees!

Of course how do I learn about these gorgeous chickens? Someone approached me knowing I have been talking about legbars with an opportunity to maybe be able to provide me with one or two chicks from a very late in the season hatch.

There is danger here.
  • With chicks, always the chance of a rooster. Not that he would be hard to rehome or sell, just look at these beautiful birds. But it would have to be dealt with.
  • The weather. They would have to stay inside our house for quite a while. Then I could be integrating new hens in the winter with snow on the ground and limited space. No free range time to help the integration if there is snow
  • Technically, do I have space? The coop and run are technically big enough for 10 birds but not if I need to lock them in the coop for any extended period of time like I did when Maleficent was killed and I had to upgrade security everywhere or when it drops way below freezing.
  • Is it fair to Lucky? I sent Lucky with Ned because I could not bear to split them up. Would I have kept them both if they were both hens? I'm afraid I might have. Clearly I am weak when it comes to chickens. Is it Disloyal to bring in others now.
  • I know these beautiful hens exist now. I'm sure I could get some another time, right? Or is this a one time opportunity?
  • If there is only 1 available I would have to get at least one other chick to go with it. How would I do that! That also means that I am adding at least 2 hens to my flock bring it back to 8.
  • Blue Eggs!
I need everyone to look at this seriously and help me to decide. I really want to hear your thoughts. Especially if you see a positive or negative that I have missed.

I admit I am weak and just the pictures of these chickens has me longing for my dearly missed leghorn friends (especially you know who). Plus with
Blue Eggs a little price of Mal as well, sort of, in a way, ironically.

View attachment 2343738
For me, I think your biggest issue is the weather. Eight chooks cooped up together because of snow with two newbies, it’s not going to give them a lot of places to run and hide.

featherhead007

Enabler
Feb 2, 2017
Tulare County CA.

Top Bottom