I love when they help me fix things. You are so lucky you did not have to do that alone.It's repairs day for me. I replaced the fan motor on the A/C unit in the back house. I'm so glad I have Beetov-Hen here to supervise my work. All morning it's been... "Daddy, Whatcha doin?"
And I stop and explain to her everything I'm doing, and planning,( as she listens intently)!
She's a great construction hen! And great company, as I work.
For me, I think your biggest issue is the weather. Eight chooks cooped up together because of snow with two newbies, it’s not going to give them a lot of places to run and hide.Would it be Disloyal......
First, I have to say that I know I am coming to the wrong group with this but I am hoping that you all could be honest with me.
Has anyone ever heard of a White Legbar?
View attachment 2343705
Just look at it. Isn't it gorgeous. I never knew they even existed. It looks so much like my beloved white leghorn, except it has a toupee. I love toupees!
Of course how do I learn about these gorgeous chickens? Someone approached me knowing I have been talking about legbars with an opportunity to maybe be able to provide me with one or two chicks from a very late in the season hatch.
There is danger here.
I need everyone to look at this seriously and help me to decide. I really want to hear your thoughts. Especially if you see a positive or negative that I have missed.
- With chicks, always the chance of a rooster. Not that he would be hard to rehome or sell, just look at these beautiful birds. But it would have to be dealt with.
- The weather. They would have to stay inside our house for quite a while. Then I could be integrating new hens in the winter with snow on the ground and limited space. No free range time to help the integration if there is snow
- Technically, do I have space? The coop and run are technically big enough for 10 birds but not if I need to lock them in the coop for any extended period of time like I did when Maleficent was killed and I had to upgrade security everywhere or when it drops way below freezing.
- Is it fair to Lucky? I sent Lucky with Ned because I could not bear to split them up. Would I have kept them both if they were both hens? I'm afraid I might have. Clearly I am weak when it comes to chickens. Is it Disloyal to bring in others now.
- I know these beautiful hens exist now. I'm sure I could get some another time, right? Or is this a one time opportunity?
- If there is only 1 available I would have to get at least one other chick to go with it. How would I do that! That also means that I am adding at least 2 hens to my flock bring it back to 8.
- Blue Eggs!
I admit I am weak and just the pictures of these chickens has me longing for my dearly missed leghorn friends (especially you know who). Plus with Blue Eggs a little price of Mal as well, sort of, in a way, ironically.
View attachment 2343738
Priceless!Here they are.
I’ll go pecking-order wise.
Melody, the fat sassy mean BO. View attachment 2344188 View attachment 2344189
Pepper, one of the Dominique twins: View attachment 2344190
Salt, the other twin: View attachment 2344192
June Bug. An EE. View attachment 2344204 View attachment 2344218
Nutmeg, a SS. View attachment 2344220
And Vanilla, the sweetie. No eggs yet. EE. View attachment 2344221