Poor Flo. After several rounds of this and passing nothing, I went into emergency mode…

After calcium citrate, an epsom salt bath and extra warmth, she passed this:
IMG_9369.jpeg

Then when I was blow drying her, she suddenly raised her hackles and squatted again, and an egg without even a rubbery membrane pooled around her feet.

Poor baby. Back to back shell less eggs. I don’t know how long that free egg was hanging out in her oviduct, but obviously I’m concerned about the possibility of infection setting in. I’m even more worried that her poor shell gland seems shot.

@RoyalChick I’m not blaming it on the feed, but we’ve completely switched over to the high protein layer because they loved it so much. Flash is also having trouble putting shells on eggs, so I hope the feed isn’t a factor.

I have a nice collection of Twofers for you all:

194888E6-1791-4E29-B813-3453A6F4CDDC.jpeg

Whiskey and Quincy om nom noming their morning cereal.

9A2BBB9A-142A-4CBC-A2BB-888E5C5E155B.jpeg

“What?” Whiskey tries to give me a hard stare, but Quincy’s is quite something to behold.

749B2540-E827-4184-854D-E49F630D9088.jpeg

Summoning the chicks from their mini coop because I was going to let them out to mingle with the Bigs.

001E92E1-0A49-4AC4-87C3-1936B9C6C604.jpeg

Both Ricky/Pips and Moa were like “Who is disturbing us? Are you hollering for us?”

53412687-5D66-4C21-BD70-C7393417ED3C.jpeg

Such a perfect color pair, Caroline and Moa. Caroline even dirtied her neck to mirror Moa’s copper tones.

48EAE504-10DE-4676-8CF5-D8F728AE380E.jpeg

I was able to take uninterrupted photos of the youth by giving these sharks a hanging corn snack. They were circling around it like a real shark mob.

I went out at midnight and put the wee ones under the brooder and the big ones in the crate. They were not settling.

Now the wee ones are still under the brooder but the bigs are back on the brooder and looks like Jaffarra there on the ground beside the brooder.
EAA7150B-33C6-4E9F-AE8E-049FF95CB63E.png

Well better get out there and do chores.

Poor Flo. After several rounds of this and passing nothing, I went into emergency mode…

View attachment 3839985

Then when I was blow drying her, she suddenly raised her hackles and squatted again, and an egg without even a rubbery membrane pooled around her feet.

Poor baby. Back to back shell less eggs. I don’t know how long that free egg was hanging out in her oviduct, but obviously I’m concerned about the possibility of infection setting in. I’m even more worried that her poor shell gland seems shot.

@RoyalChick I’m not blaming it on the feed, but we’ve completely switched over to the high protein layer because they loved it so much. Flash is also having trouble putting shells on eggs, so I hope the feed isn’t a factor.
Awww poor chookie, I am now giving a bunch of mine calcium at night every other night. I give 1/4 of a calcium 660mg tablet every other night. Seems to have helped my girls that have been giving me egg issues.

I use a pill splitter to cut them first in half then the halves in half.

View attachment 3839985

I’m worried for your whole family. Especially Flash. She’s the reason why I chose Rocks over other breeds.

What ever the hour, it doesn’t matter, the little chooks will awaken and greet me with a soothing shrilly voice. Softly sweet peep peep peep, prrrrrrrereep.
I try to duplicate the sound, but I bet that they are just laughing at my attempt. “Hear what daddy just said? He said that the grass smells like fire engines 🚒 “ ..
“Leave daddy alone, he’s trying his hardest to communicate with us!”
“Yeah, and he has the best treats, so shut your beak!”
“I don’t care what any of you say, I’m daddy’s favorite and I know where our love and care comes from!”
“You’re just a butt smooch 😘 and we will not forget it!”
:tongue

Had an incident since Mera went broody...PITA demonstrated she's aptly named. 4 of the 8 eggs are gone (both white and 1 of the green). Set this up this morning while Mera was having breakfast
20240522_070422.jpg
She had no problem getting back on her nest. (Don't worry about the fabric. Is the hem and a bit more from a skirt that wore so thin it tore in shreds)
20240522_070438.jpg
We will see how this goes.

Had an incident since Mera went broody...PITA demonstrated she's aptly named. 4 of the 8 eggs are gone (both white and 1 of the green). Set this up this morning while Mera was having breakfastView attachment 3840136She had no problem getting back on her nest. (Don't worry about the fabric. Is the hem and a bit more from a skirt that wore so thin it tore in shreds)View attachment 3840137We will see how this goes.
What happened? :eek:

Back
Top Bottom