I have yet to hear one of my hens crow, but I’ve never had a rooster. Is that a factor?

On another note, the babies might be on the verge of a voice change. Or maybe just Flo. Flash still sounds like a bitty chick.
When they get older, they gain their adult voices. The next thing you know, they are packing up, and off to college. Then they never even write. So good luck with your birds! :plbb

Last edited:
Yep. Those are the Red Tail Hawks we have. HUGE. And majestic.
The thing I just can't get over is their complete lack of fear of me. These hawks will let me walk right up to them. I swear I could grab them. They have no fear of humans.

I had one attack Daisy, the greatest hen ever, once. Daisy ducked into our lilac bush for cover and the hawk got tangled in the bush. I ran over to defend her. By the time I got there the hawk had extricated itself and roosted on top of my shed. I could not scare it off. I stood at the shed door flapping my arms yelling. It just stood there staring at me until it decided to leave. They are the only animal that seems to have no fear of me.
20201021_073210.jpg

I have yet to hear one of my hens crow, but I’ve never had a rooster. Is that a factor?

On another note, the babies might be on the verge of a voice change. Or maybe just Flo. Flash still sounds like a bitty chick.
I can't say. This whole crowing hen thing is unexpected.

It's always bittersweet when they lose their peep. 🙁

To those of you struggling to keep up like I am,

I apologize for just adding three pages of replies, but I just can’t help myself!

So I better contribute. Here is Ruby purring a bit of a warning a couple weeks ago. I see a feed scoop, so this must have been when I first let them out of the coop in the morning.

Very similar to Hattie's call. Thanks for posting. Bridge certainly did not believe her. 😆

Back
Top Bottom