Shall I add my Chicken Drama to the growing pool? I was one short, one of a pair that are besties and molting, DH and I spent 1 1/2hrs scouring the field, all the books and crannies. We checked under the trailer multiple times. The last time, just as we were giving up and heading down to bring my mother up for dinner, I caught a flash of not quite the right colour for rust. Perched on the axel snuggled against the tire there she was. I have to do laundry now... as extricating her involved squirming through the “mud” (cow poo) under the trailer. Everyone is safe, but my heart was quite heavy for a time thinking I had lost her.
Great job persisting and finding her!

Mel issued forth from Tribe 1's coop this morning with all the rest and the lot headed in the opposite to usual direction and ended up at the front of the main house having gone over my roof and scuttled around the back to the car port, gingerly navigating the rockery which was very slippery from the morning heavy dew fall.
The only noticable difference between Mel and the others was the lack of feathers and if one got close, a wound just visible on her right shoulder. She is a bit paler but then so is Fudge.
She was with the tribe all day. mostly staying close to Cillin. Meds were easy in a split prawn and she ate a reasonable amount of commercial feed. I didn't bother to bring her into the house for wound cleaning and did it sat under the bush with the tribe. Moon would insist on trying to eat the wipes while they were in my hand. I've got a very wet coat pocket now.
The wounds look okayish. Not entirely happy with them. The graze come blister under her wing looks the worst. It's gone black like a bruise. It's not infected, just looks bad.
The infected puncture is still open but not looking as inflamed. I'll leave that open to breathe for a couple of days then pack it with Blastoestimulina.
The other two puncture wounds are looking better. No sign of any infection.

It's interesting to see the conclusions of some feeding studies that state chickens eat more when they eat together born out here. There is obaviously something about watching others stuff their faces. They didn't venture far from the bush by the bread oven all day.
These two pics were taken this evening at supper time. That's Mel in the background in the first pic. Tackle in front.
I was half expecting Mel to be a bit more aggressive than usual just to let the juiors know she might not be the full ticket, but she won't be putting up with any nonsense. She belted Tap once that I saw; Tap really pushes her luck and for the rest warninng sounds were enough. She ate just about enough at lunch time and got her meds with a whole tin size piece of cod at supper and ate some commercial feed.
When I looked in a while ago she was at the other end of the same perch she was on last night but tonight she had wedged herself between Cillin and the coop wall. The perch ends get least air flow and tend to be just that bit warmer.
View attachment 2422553View attachment 2422554
On the whole it sounds like things are improving. I am really glad to hear so and thank you so much for the update. :hugs :hugs for both of you.

Back
Top Bottom