I think you marked the video private in YouTube - you need to mark it 'unlisted' (I think that is what it is called) and that means anyone with the link can view it but not anyone just roaming around YouTube.
On your clean-out question I have similar but mine is based on leaves - I don't really clean it out but add stuff on top - though this year I will steal a load for fertilizer as it is mainly over a year aged.
Mine have a favorite dust bathing spot and I rake it out now and then but mainly because they dig down and find big rocks and that looks uncomfortable to me!
Ah yes there are oak and maple leaves in mine too. They disintegrated even though I added them periodically through the winter. You don't mix it up at all RC? So I was wondering if bathing in poo dust is good or bad for them! What are your thoughts on that?

Do you have a plan as to how to help her?
Yes, my plan, show her vitamins and support from me. Her poop is good, her attitude is confusion. I’m the only mama hen she’s ever known. I will keep her safe from the others for now. Maybe she was just having a bad night in the pecking order. She’s watching me text this. Coco is the smallest in the new tribe, and I thought she would be bottom of the order, but size doesn’t matter with chickens I guess. :confused:

I am glad that Ruby is feeling better. That is excellent news.

Just because the pullets are laying doesn't mean that their combs are always bright red. Weather can also play a role in comb color.

I'm sure I have asked this before but how old is Dorothy?
Yeah, I know comb color varies, it just odd that all three of the the babies’ combs are less red and fleshy than anyone except Ruby, who is on hormones. Flo has a pretty small comb for an Australorp. I’ll go back and look through pullet photos at the same age. They are still significantly smaller than the hens, despite looking the same size because of feathers. My birds seem to take well over a year to reach full size, which I think is normal.

Dorothy will be two at the end of May. Poor thing. So young.

Yes, my plan, show her vitamins and support from me. Her poop is good, her attitude is confusion. I’m the only mama hen she’s ever known. I will keep her safe from the others for now. Maybe she was just having a bad night in the pecking order. She’s watching me text this. Coco is the smallest in the new tribe, and I thought she would be bottom of the order, but size doesn’t matter with chickens I guess. :confused:
I should have knowledge of this already. But I’m still learning too!

Here she is grooming herself just now . And she purrs, so she can’t be too bad off. 0491580E-5790-4AC2-961B-0ECF30323343.jpeg

Hey all.
Bob said I could share this on here. Thanks again for that @BY Bob ☺️
Although my short story didn’t win, it sounds like it was well received which is nice.

View attachment 2615523

So here it is, be kind 😉
The topic was ‘the gift’.
Sorry it makes for a VERY long post!

FAR FROM PALTRY; THE POULTRY GIFT.

A new adventure for us. A new life for sisters that knew nothing but cramped conditions and sadness.
The gift of my feathered ladies.

When we first brought you two girls home we had no idea what we were getting ourselves into, of how you would become part of our inner circle. Our toddler gave you the names Henny Penny and Bok Bok; Penny and Bok for short.
The gift of family.

You were hesitant at first when you were let out of your coop and into our yard to free range. Soon enough you were Queens of the lands you surveyed, never worrying if it was a plant, weed or a new garden bed you happened to be scratching up.
The gift of freedom.

I loved to sit in the sun and watch the two of you dust bath. I would read my book and listen to your bawks, clucks and trills as you relished in the chicken-y things that made your life joyful. The squeaks when you found a particularly tasty bug and wanted the other one to know about it, or when you would get corn and you couldn’t contain your passion for the golden kernels you were swiftly devouring.
The gift of pure happiness.

Of course then there were the beautiful big, brown eggs, so delicious that eating store bought ones now makes me melancholy. They will never be as lovely as what you gave us, my sweet girls.
The gift of perfect sustenance.

When you first free ranged with our terrier you were so unsure, but he was gentle and eventually you found peace with him. You did challenge him on more than one occasion where food was concerned. It was lucky he’s a goof and just barked in response.
The gift of diversity.

I remember it hailing really hard one day in July of ‘19. Our very young daughter and I went out to see you girls exploring in the little ice spheres, deep against the fence of your run. She starting saying ‘Happy Christmas, chickens!’ to you and it made my heart warm even though we were quite chilled.
The gift of nature.

When you tried awkwardly to sit on my lap while I was reading on the outside couch on a warm summer evening;clambering along the edge of the patio furniture, swaying this way and that with your destination always at the forefront of your minds.
The gift of adventure.

I clearly recall when you fell ill, Penny. I did what I could, as much as my narrow knowledge allowed. I soaked you in warm baths, I felt for eggs that may have been stuck, I trimmed your messy feathers so you would still have your fluffy butt hence your dignity. I sobbed when I knew there was no saving you. This impending loss of a companion I never expected to love so much weighed heavily on my heart. You spent your last night back out in the coop with Bok, together until the end.
The gift of sisterly bonds.

Bok became lonely without you. My heart broke when she would call out for you, thinking you had just been separated by backyard obstacles. After a time or two, when you never answered, she stopped trying. She lost her zest for life and began to give a growly crow when coming out to greet each day. I knew I had to do something, Bok.
The gift of compassion.

I was unsure I was taking the right path when I brought home two pullets. You then proceeded to boss them around; letting them know who the top bird was. I saw your enthusiasm return and my heart grew lighter.
The gift of friendship anew.

Now, old friend, your time is fast running out. Each day that passes I see it looming to greet us. I thought I would be more prepared when your chapter closed. I was fooling myself. You sit on my knee, letting me stroke your soft feathers in the sunshine, falling asleep like the old lady that you are. Your body is giving up, maybe I should not be so selfish and hear what you are trying to tell me. Truth be told, I’m just not ready yet.
The gift of contrition.

You began as providers of eggs but became so much more.
At the end of the day, the gift of love is one we gave each other in spades.
Oh my. This is lovely. My throat is tight and tears are dribbling down my cheeks. Thank you for sharing.

I think you marked the video private in YouTube - you need to mark it 'unlisted' (I think that is what it is called) and that means anyone with the link can view it but not anyone just roaming around YouTube.
On your clean-out question I have similar but mine is based on leaves - I don't really clean it out but add stuff on top - though this year I will steal a load for fertilizer as it is mainly over a year aged.
Mine have a favorite dust bathing spot and I rake it out now and then but mainly because they dig down and find big rocks and that looks uncomfortable to me!

I never clean out the run. I throw in straw and twice a year I turn it over for them. They make deep pits and dustbath in it. They seem well.

You do need to change the video to "unlisted" from "private" so we can all see it.
Thank you for the feedback on how you manage your runs, I'll keep it going for them. I think I made the video unlisted just now, thanks. I uploaded directly from my phone and it never got to the visibility part by itself, or showed that it was done.

Out roaming this afternoon and "back at the ranch" so to speak, in the old unattached and still- covered run. Hazel and Queenie started dustbathing in the sunny warmth. Then the three others found them and quickly joined in. This is the second time they've come back to it to bathe, and it's sheltered and they rest and preen in there too.
I've tried to upload it to my youtube channel but not sure if it's there yet:

Maybe I won't clear out all that litter as I was planning, only some, as they like to dustbathe in it? Or should I change it out for health reasons? Or It's about six months old but mostly been dry (though on the bare ground) in the covered run, since the coop was attached for the winter. So its aged ramial chips, some hemp, pdz, wood stove ashes, lots of poo, some feed dust, grit & oyster shell bits. I periodically hoed it around to bury poo and keep it interesting. Part of it has become quite fine and dirt-like. Maybe it's called Deep Bedding since it's dry? I've read a bit but don't recall how often people change it out. I'd replace it with a big pile of new but aged ramial chips & everything else (but minus the poo til they visit again :rolleyes:)
The video is awesome. I swear they never seem happier than when they are dustbathing. 🥰

Out roaming this afternoon and "back at the ranch" so to speak, in the old unattached and still- covered run. Hazel and Queenie started dustbathing in the sunny warmth. Then the three others found them and quickly joined in. This is the second time they've come back to it to bathe, and it's sheltered and they rest and preen in there too.
I've tried to upload it to my youtube channel but not sure if it's there yet:

Maybe I won't clear out all that litter as I was planning, only some, as they like to dustbathe in it? Or should I change it out for health reasons? Or It's about six months old but mostly been dry (though on the bare ground) in the covered run, since the coop was attached for the winter. So its aged ramial chips, some hemp, pdz, wood stove ashes, lots of poo, some feed dust, grit & oyster shell bits. I periodically hoed it around to bury poo and keep it interesting. Part of it has become quite fine and dirt-like. Maybe it's called Deep Bedding since it's dry? I've read a bit but don't recall how often people change it out. I'd replace it with a big pile of new but aged ramial chips & everything else (but minus the poo til they visit again :rolleyes:)
Wow, they are pretty excited about that litter! I personally would not remove it and would let it keep breaking down.

Back
Top Bottom