@MaryJanet I hope you get thing's worked out for your hen Sandy.

@mixedUPturk You are still in my prayer's.

@ValerieJ I'm glad that you are getting your cockerel situation worked out.

@BY Bob Did your pickled egg's arrive yet?

I believe it will be a while before the eggs arrive. I will send pictures as soon as I get them.

I'm up with a bit of insomnia too. Only 11:09pm here, but I should be asleep. Have to drive into Olympia tomorrow and that's pretty far from here. It gets harder and harder, doesn't it? The days of the week and the hours of the day run into each other when you're retirees. If I didn't have chickens, I would never know what time it is! :lau

Hopefully your roosters do not crow all night or that would only add to the confusion! :gig

I guess you have had some serious rain. How long are you usually cut if for? I am assuming this has happened before of course.

I love the pictures of the chicks out and about. I'm sure they were driving Bracket nuts all stuck in the house like that.

Now this is a phrase of my mother's. I've never heard another soul say it. Here goes.

Those chicks needed to "go outside and blow the stink off".

My brother and I were laughing about this phrase the other day. We were exceptionally stinkier after a day outside! :gig :lau:lau:gig

I say "go outside and blow the stink off" all the time!! :lau :lau

I got pointed to this article.
It's very very slow progress but some are at last learning.
https://ouroneacrefarm.com/2014/05/05/creating-chicken-habitat-advice-red-jungle-fowl/
@Shadrach, I love, love, love this article. And I’m pleased to report, even though I do break the small flock rule with a total of 37, my land is more diverse than just the lawn. The birds love the horse paddocks, especially so beginning in the late summer when all the vegetation is at it’s densest.

On a side note, even though our land borders timberland, I don’t encourage, nor do I want, my birds finding out about that luscious undergrowth. That is where all the bad things live and where my security dogs cannot patrol. (I don’t know how I’ll stop them if they ever do find it!):eek::fl

Anyway, I am definitely bookmarking this article. It always makes for a good day to find something we can read and reread that reassures us we are doing something right for our birds.

Thanks again, Shad!

Hopefully your roosters do not crow all night or that would only add to the confusion! :gig
Actually, they did not crow as early as they usually do this morning. And they are not continually crowing. I'm so excited! Their crowing doesn't bother me, I'm just glad they are settling down a little.

I have often wondered about chickens ability to hunt cooperatively.
If as current science has it that chickens were at some point in time like small ground raptors with arms instead of wings and maybe scales instead of feathers, group hunting would see to be probable at some stage.
So, I found this interesting.
This lot saw a lizard dart into the bush.
P1132383.JPG

They surrounded the bush and tried to find it.
P1132382.JPG

Last edited:
Hey everyone! Could I ask yall to do me a favor..? Would each of you go to Spotify and type in Machine Preacher.. it’s a song by Electric Preacher.. who is my son :)... by doing so you will help it spread.. via hits/likes/views... yall know how it works;)... thank you all in advance!

Will do!

Barking Bracket finally got her chicks out and about today in a lull in the rain.View attachment 2008628
Lock, the light coloured pullett, is fascinated by the chicks. When Bracket gets the chicks into the nest box at night to roost, Lock piles in with her and the chicks.
View attachment 2008629
Mag, the rooster facing forward is where the chicks go if Bracket wanders off.
View attachment 2008630
We've had some serious rain here. The house is cut off on both tracks by landslides and rivers. Hundreds of tons of earth has slid. This was a dusty track a couple of days ago.
View attachment 2008631
Cute chicks and yikes to the rain!

Back
Top Bottom