Lilly is clearly in need. If it was reliably warm it would get done. I can't put a damp chicken out in the cold. I know I left Phyllis out after she fell in the pool but she wasn't as soaked as a butt cleaning makes them.
I had to give Queen Bee a butt bath last week. I used a hair dryer to get her completely dry before putting her back out. :)

I clean them while they are standing and I use my fingers to break the lumps.
While not particularly pleasant it's easy and better for them than bathing them.

I may try that. I want to trim her feathers as well. I think she might be having some difficulty bending far enough. Maybe a little arthritis.

Treacle came to the house early this morning with Tap. I'm not sure where they went after but Tap wasn't in her bank nest when I've been up that way. I hope Treacle has persuaded Tap that an alternative nest site is a good idea.
P2292656.JPG

Lat this afternoon Moon arrived with Treacle with Tyle following behind. Treacle has had a go at Tyle it seems ( I didn't see it) because Tyle kept well away from Treacle and Moon.

:(An unpleasant reality of chicken keeping is when you let hens sit and hatch half are likely to be males. There are already two males in Tribe 1 (Cilling and Treacle) and Tyle was on the to be eaten list the day he was born. I would have liked to give Tyle at least six months. In the past this wouldn't have been a problem. Predation has always reduced the number of chicks that make it to adulthood. That hasn't happened and Tribe 1's coop is now overcrowded.:(
I did have someone interested in taking a pair but that has fallen through.
P2292678.JPG

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom