IMHO, it's better to relocate. I agree it shouldn't have to die for doing what it needs to do to survive. But, if it were me, I would drive far enough out to find a place where there are no local houses. Once an animal has been trapped, it is trap savvy, and that can create a problem for some other unsuspecting person. I know it's illegal in some areas, but in my area, no authorities would enforce such a law.

Sweetheart there is also territory to take into consideration. Oftentimes it is more hostile to take the critter to some other critters territory and its kill or be killed.

Sorry guys i have to stand with Ms Kris on this one :idunno

Sweetheart there is also territory to take into consideration. Oftentimes it is more hostile to take the critter to some other critters territory and its kill or be killed.

Sorry guys i have to stand with Ms Kris on this one :idunno
Ok. I understand. I just can't kill a critter.

Coop Enhancements

So what were the enhancements made to the coop to weasel proof it. I am sure enquiring minds wish to know. (even though no one asked. ;) )

The end doors on the coop are large pieces of plywood that did not remain flat but rather warped over time. So I sealed them with weather stripping. This kept the weather out but would not keep a weasel out. So I removed the weather stripping and screwed the porch door shut to the coop. For now it no longer opens but is sealed.

For the other door I framed out the inside which straighted out the door and provided interior overlap. Here is the framing and the new overlap.

View attachment 2012357
View attachment 2012358

The only other vulnerability I could think of was the soffet vents. They are wired with hardware cloth from the inside. I decided that was not good enough and added a second layer on the outside. It's ugly, but secure. I can pretty it up in the spring.

View attachment 2012363

Thanks for posting the pics Bob. It's always useful to know.

How secure is the roof in the run?

Physically I am doing better. Ate some real food tonight for the first time since I fell sick. I had to travel for work and will not be home until Wednesday night.

Glad you are (physically) on the mend Bob. That's rotten timing having to travel for work . ☹

Take care of yourself :hugs

Thanks for posting the pics Bob. It's always useful to know.

How secure is the roof in the run?

Great thought. Many times we forget to look up.

The roof in the run is double pained plate glass windows out of patio doors. Extremely heavy. My dad and I had trouble getting them up on top. They sit right on the wood frame and overhang the edges slightly. I can't imagine there is any ingress there and they are not out of position.

I love when they eat from the top of the feeder.
Big Coop_01_28_2020 8_38_10AM.jpg

Ok. I understand. I just can't kill a critter.

:hugs i understand, your such a sweet lady! For us that part is easy. Call your local wildlife and fisheries, they will take the chicken killing critter away and you wont even have to know what happened to it if you tell em you dont want any part of it you feel bad for it and you just have to protect your girls.

Back
Top Bottom