Houston, we have a problem.

Is she a Leghorn? It sounds like it could be egg yolk peritonitis. Do you have an avian vet? Was it you who has had chooks with hormone implants in the past, or was that someone else? Chickie’s Suprelorin implant has definitely made her stop laying; we’re now just waiting to see whether she has low-grade peritonitis from egg products in her system or something else. I hope Dorothy gets better soon. :hugs

Is she a Leghorn? It sounds like it could be egg yolk peritonitis. Do you have an avian vet? Was it you who has had chooks with hormone implants in the past, or was that someone else? Chickie’s Suprelorin implant has definitely made her stop laying; we’re now just waiting to see whether she has low-grade peritonitis from egg products in her system or something else. I hope Dorothy gets better soon. :hugs
Hi. Yes, she’s actually a California white, which is 3/4 leghorn. And yes, I’m the one who’s had chickens on hormone implants before. I’ve been down this road before. Super bummed.

Houston, we have a problem.

I'm no chicken expert but this looks exactly like what happened to one of my girls. After doing a bit of research I came to the conclusion that she was egg bound. So I put on a rubber glove and did a probe. A few minutes after that she dropped the same type of egg as your picture. Then she kind of stumbled off and a few minutes later dropped another one just like the first one. So two eggs within a matter of a few minutes. After that, she perked up and all has been well since. I really believe it was the probe that got things moving again. Maybe that's what's going on with Dorothy.

Are anyone’s birds molting? Cashew might be in a second stage of molt. She has seemed a little off, and I saw her drop one feather, plus there is a small pile under her roosting spot. Also, two of the three pullets seem to be coming out of lay. I handled Dorothy (California White pullet) and a breast feather fell off her, too. I’m only four years into looking after chickens, but haven’t yet seen molt (in any form) this time of year. Anyone else?

Mine molt around October every year. That's my only experience. I've not had it happen any other time of the year.

Well thanks. You've all been very nice to me. I do like talking about chickens and I wouldn't mind posting some things. I've never warmed up to the idea of being involved in a social media type thing (Facebook, Twitter, etc. really turn me off) until I ran into this group on BYC. I may not be the most prolific contributor, probably rather sporadic, but who knows, this first foray into the social media world might suit me just fine. I'll try to let you all know a bit about my chicken story and put up a few pictures, which are all pretty low quality phone camera stuff, unfortunately. Oh well, we deal with what we have! :D

This is the only"social media" I do.

Back
Top Bottom