Interesting development tonight; the Faverolles have been putting themselves to bed in the tractor still and I’ve been transferring them to the henhouse at dusk (sneak cuddle-attack!) Tegan goes first, probably to get the best spot, then River and Nyssa come after. Tonight, there was a fair bit of clucking from the salmon girls. I went out a couple of times to see what was wrong; if that cat had shown up again or something else. I couldn’t see anything amiss. The second time I went out, I worked out that Nyssa wanted to go to bed in the henhouse instead of the tractor, but couldn’t work out how to get there! I herded her into the run (after making sure Charlie and Lucy had gone to bed) and she went straight into the house! :yesss: Then I guided River in and she did the same thing! I still got a cuddle in transferring Tegan to the run, but I put her down in front of the house and she walked in too. They know where their new bed is! :love
Yay!

Observations from Saturday

Phyllis only has the Tips Dyed on Some Feathers

I got a really close look at Phyllis' hairdo yesterday and I noticed something I did not realize. Phyllis not only has bannock and white feathers, she has black feathers with white tops. You can one in particular in the photo below.

That headdress also makes a ton of noise when she shakes her head. It's quite surprising actually the first time you hear it.
View attachment 2076104

Standing Watch
Hattie was definately on Sentinel duty yesterday.
View attachment 2076112

Stick in Your Face

The picture is not great but Sansa has started joining Aurora when she perches to groom. It is quite cute.
View attachment 2076117

Signs of Spring

My Magnolia tree is in full bloom. I'll get full pictures today. It is 3 weeks later than last year. All that dreary rain.
View attachment 2076120
Fabulous photos. That Hattie is stunning!

Egg Hunt

On Saturday Phyllis laid her egg in the nesting box. That is the only one since I found her first egg.

View attachment 2076424

I knew that she had been looking for a nest spot outside the coop. Today, my wife came out and asked where Phyllis was. I thought I had just seen her but she was not immediately visible. I told her to check the nest box. Hattie and Lilly were in there.

So the search began.

I found her in the brush pile.

Nest discovered.
View attachment 2076444

I don't think there is anything I can do about Lilly hogging the nest for no reason. Any thoughts?
Love the nesting video!

Even royalty must put in an honest day's work
So today the Princesses started their work in the vegetable garden. Those clever chickens remembered where to go from last year! I have raised beds and I pen them into one that needs to be prepared for the following year. They clear the weeds and till the soil and gobble up the pests. Today's bed was very overgrown so it was hard work - I was worried they wouldn't like it. You can see all the long straw from overgrown grass last season (I let it get away from me). View attachment 2076776
But I needn't have worried, Elizabeth is a foraging machine and Maggie with her huge feet has a structural advantage - like she is the only one with power tools! Diana did her bit too.
They put me to shame - I was working on another bed (pruning the berry canes) and I kept taking breaks to watch them - I clearly didn't pull my weight and I think Maggie will be having a word with me tomorrow!
Here is the work detail following me home at the end of the day. Everyone is now safely back and tucked into the Chicken Palace for the night.
I bet they had a fabulous time!

Back
Top Bottom