OMG, I think Lucy laid an egg!! :eek: I was cleaning out the coops just now and there was an egg in there! It was long and thin and broke as soon as I picked it up, the shell was super fragile. River’s comb has got redder but I think it was Lucy; I wondered where she was earlier today and I saw her in the run so I’m thinking she laid it. I really don’t want her to lay any more, I don’t want to lose her to EYP too!
I have forgotten. How old is Lucy now?

Lilly laid an egg the other day. It was so pale it was almost white. Her eggs used to be dark brown. I get nervous everytime she lays too. She complains the whole day before so I now know when the rare egg is coming.

It would be nice if they just stopped instead of having the rare egg pop out on occasion. :hugs

I have forgotten. How old is Lucy now?

Lilly laid an egg the other day. It was so pale it was almost white. Her eggs used to be dark brown. I get nervous everytime she lays too. She complains the whole day before so I now know when the rare egg is coming.

It would be nice if they just stopped instead of having the rare egg pop out on occasion. :hugs
Bob, Everyone gets older, even our birds!:old

I may have to use the freezer at my church. My ref, is small and full of food. I have access there. I'm a deacon:confused:
Excuse me deacon, why are you putting a container of blueberries in water in the freezer?

So I can cool off my chickens.

My fridge is full too but I am going to try and make space. Maybe I’ll need to eat all of that ice cream. Any sacrifice for my ladies. 😉

Frustrated!

I figure there must be a whole lot more chicken flocks now than there was last year. I have been using Srandlee chopped straw for my coop for years now. I really like the quality. It is usually around $11 for 25lbs at TSC. I only go through a couple of bags a year. The flock loves it when I clean the coop because it contains seeds so there is a side bonus as they spend a couple of hours scratching it around looking for the seeds to eat. The chopped straw is smaller so clean up is actually easier.

TSC has not had any for weeks. So I went to their website to see if I could order some for store delivery. I cannot. I can order it with next day delivery for another $16! That`s over $26 total!

So I started looking elsewhere. Walmart wants $36. Amazon $29, and on eBay it is going for $40!

FOR CHOPPED STRAW! :th

I can't get the feed I want at any price. Now I can't get straw at reasonable price. I'm going to have to buy some land and start growing my own stuff just to save money!
:he:rant:barnie

And so ends BY Bob`s rant. Thank you for listening.

Frustrated!

I figure there must be a whole lot more chicken flocks now than there was last year. I have been using Srandlee chopped straw for my coop for years now. I really like the quality. It is usually around $11 for 25lbs at TSC. I only go through a couple of bags a year. The flock loves it when I clean the coop because it contains seeds so there is a side bonus as they spend a couple of hours scratching it around looking for the seeds to eat. The chopped straw is smaller so clean up is actually easier.

TSC has not had any for weeks. So I went to their website to see if I could order some for store delivery. I cannot. I can order it with next day delivery for another $16! That`s over $26 total!

So I started looking elsewhere. Walmart wants $36. Amazon $29, and on eBay it is going for $40!

FOR CHOPPED STRAW! :th

I can't get the feed I want at any price. Now I can't get straw at reasonable price. I'm going to have to buy some land and start growing my own stuff just to save money!
:he:rant:barnie

And so ends BY Bob`s rant. Thank you for listening.
FOR CHOPPED STRAW$$ WOW :eek:

Hi folks. I’m 34 pages behind again and will try to catch up this weekend! In the mean time, I know this group will not judge my extreme dorkiness I’m about to share. A little background:
I think you all know that my flock got too fat. So for several months I’ve been rationing feed. Instead of leaving one or two giant feeders out I only have a bunch of little feeders scattered throughout the run. This ensures all the girls can eat at the same time, but it also means I have to fill them every morning. I actually enjoy this routine.
Lately, Bridgey follows me around the whole time I’m filling the feeders calling for me. Sometimes she’ll peck at my pajamas or bathrobe or whatever I’m wearing. She follows me around until I’m done. Then I either pick her up, or I just sit down and she hops into my lap, and we have a morning cuddle. She would like to do this every single day. I started singing to her while we sit together. Do you know the song bicycle built for two? Well, use that tune and here are the words:

Bridgey’s Song

Bridgey, Bridgey, you’re the bird for me.
I love Bridgey, who cuddles happily.
You were my special little girl,
When you came into this world.
Now you’re the boss
Of the rest of the flock,
And you’re sitting on my knee.

Bridgey, Bridgey, delighted when I get home.
You know that means that soon it’s time to roam.
You learned to come when called,
When you were very small.
Now you call me,
So cute to see,
‘Til you’re sitting on my knee.

Bridgey, Bridgey, you’re the Alpha hen.
I love Bridgey, do you remember when?
We had your favorite sister,
Oh how I deeply miss her.
But I have you and you have me,
And you’re sitting on my knee.

Back