Hattie Update

Hattie is up and moving and eating normally this morning. @Shadrach It was hard to get pictures of her bum. I was able to tilt her back and forth to get her to flex her tail feathers so you can see. Everything looks normal to me now. I have to clean her bum so we can get a better look as well as keep her from getting sore. There is no egg anywhere to be seen.

So glad she is looking better today Bob :hugs

OK. I read up on Hattie (I had to walk the dog first). Bob, I used to exclusively hang out on the emergency forms, but hardly visit there anymore. A year ago I would’ve been one of the ones up late to help you. I do think it looks like a mild prolapse, however, it’s better today? Is she acting egg bound at all? My understanding is the most critical part is if any tissue remains outside of her body, you absolutely have to keep it moist. That will keep it from dying and getting necrotic. If she’s trying to push something out, a mild dose of calcium might help.

OK. I read up on Hattie (I had to walk the dog first). Bob, I used to exclusively hang out on the emergency forms, but hardly visit there anymore. A year ago I would’ve been one of the ones up late to help you. I do think it looks like a mild prolapse, however, it’s better today? Is she acting egg bound at all? My understanding is the most critical part is if any tissue remains outside of her body, you absolutely have to keep it moist. That will keep it from dying and getting necrotic. If she’s trying to push something out, a mild dose of calcium might help.
I think she's okay. I've posted some pictures of a hen laying an egg on Bob's ER post to try to provide a bit of reassurance. It's possible she egg bound but that's easy to check for. I can't see any sign of a prolapse in the more recent video. I think Bob may have just caught her at a bad moment and seen for the first time what a hens vent looks like when she lays an egg.
It's odd that not that many people have actaully seen what happens given how common egg laying is.

Wait... I thought I was mostly caught up (beside a few weeks this summer I mostly gave up on). What happened to Hattie? Egg bound?
This just happened last night. I think you missed a post. She gave me quite a scare but she seems OK right now.

Hattie Update

I cleaned up her bum and checked for anything stuck inside. I was quite far in. There appears to be no egg waiting to come out. I assume this is good news at this point.

Here she is having her first bath.
20200912_115406.jpg
20200912_115426.jpg

Here is video of her clean bum and her expelling air, or water?

My Heart is Warm

Good Saturday morning… At least here in California. My heart is warm for two reasons as follows:
  • Little Mill had started starving herself during molt just like last year. This morning I mixed a bowl of half layer crumble half baby bird formula made nice and soupy with warm water and she ate heartily! Here she is last at the bowl! I’m not sure why she won’t eat regular dry feed while she’s molting.
View attachment 2330274
  • Though Bridge is also molting and doesn’t want to be handled, Buttercup is completely done with her molt and does want to cuddle. It’s a shame she always has a poopy butt, because the fluff is fabulous otherwise.
View attachment 2330276
Those are great reasons to have a warm heart. 🥰

Back
Top Bottom