Happy Friday! I meant to post these this morning!
805D40E5-94C0-45C9-B20D-5A669A462DA8.jpeg
D94B2AFD-C33E-43E4-9758-2A48FAD5F575.jpeg
A968E89D-9879-475E-A4AC-BF0B71EDDC6C.jpeg

Lots less rats here this year. I trapped two of the females, one of which lived next door in the next hole in the wall.
Not leaving feed out and sweeping up any the chickens kick out helped a lot.
There you are, Shad! Yes, I’ve been cleaning up feed. However, my husband’s bunny feed is all over the place.

edited to add: Oops. I didn’t mean to post that yet. Not only that, but I’ve done some tree work this year. I seriously use a handsaw and I’ve moved several hundreds of pounds of tree by myself. However, I have not broken it down properly. I’ve been creating piles of branches around the periphery of the yard. I knew they shouldn’t be there because of fire danger, but thought I’d get to them eventually. Also, they create a nice barrier to keep the chickens in the yard. Well… it did not occur to me that I was creating a perfect rat habitat. Gross! I am attacking it this weekend. We are also attacking any piles of crap, pardon my language, that are around the yard. And I don’t mean actual crap… I mean junk. Like an old bunny hutch here, an old slide from a play structure there, but that all has to go.

Rant away. You are free to do it here.
I’m glad we can have a civilized discussion. Disclaimer: Mine are ALL hatchery stock AND a UC Davis necropsy suggested I might have Marek’s in my flock. (Though that was not the cause of her peril... my Margo had egg yolk peritonitis (EYP) that went septic. The Marek’s, which was only diagnosed by something about caps on nerve endings if I remember correctly, for sure no tumors, may have compromised her immune system.) So from hatchery stock, here are my losses:

• Rusty, New Hampshire Red, age 18 months, EYP
• Margo, Brown Leghorn, age 3.5 years, EYP
• Bagheer, Black Australorp, age 3.5 years, fatty liver hemorrhagic syndrome (probably my fault)
• Happy Cheeks, Salmon Faverole, 2 weeks, cause of death unknown, but symptoms were Marek’s-like

Other health problems in my flock:
• Dorothy, California White, 18 months, which is 3/4 Leghorn - problems with egg shells
• Ruby, Buckeye, 3.5 years, hormone related problem that presents like cystic right oviduct
• Roxy, Silver Laced Wyandotte, 3.5 years, intermittent yellow urates, black poop and pale comb
• Lucky, Blue Laced Red Wyandotte, 3.5 years, egg shell is always wrinkled on one end and recently had a soft egg break inside. I think she’s too fat, which is probably my fault

On a good note, Bridge is a Plymouth Barred Rock, 4.5 years old and seems to be doing well. She, too, was probably too fat, but I think I’ve been successful in slimming her down. She has super long, slow molts, and hardly lays anymore.

Thanks for letting me share.

• So of my original four, 2 had bad genes, one was fat, and one seems healthy.
• Of the next six, half have had health issues of some kind, but only Ruby got them early on.
• Of the next four, one died at two weeks, one seems to have bad genes, and the other two seem good so far (though Ester has pigment issues on her shells and lately calcium deposits)
• The three chicks who are seven weeks old seem good so far.

I feel since I’m working with a suboptimal gene pool, I have to be extra diligent with their health. I buy premium feed and provide as much free range time as I am comfortable with. They’d be way healthier with more, but I’m not willing to risk predator losses, which would surely happen. I am not as good as I should be with enrichment inside the run. Now that fall is coming, I’ll bring a bunch of leaves in, which should help. I do not provide many treats, but I keep some pasture green all year round. It’s mostly grass and clover.

Someday in the future, maybe in retirement, I’d like to have a really healthy flock with good genes. I’d have to research where to get them and would like a dedicated flock guardian dog so they could free range more. I’d also like the rooster experience someday, but I’m not sure in what capacity. One flock rooster? Tribes like Shad? A separate rooster flock? I just don’t know. It’s fun to dream, though!

Back
Top Bottom