I went to see the Witch yesterday about Fudge. I explained my options naming all the chemicals. She wasn't impressed. Definitely a big NO to the acidified cooper sulphate. Not over keen on the anto yeast products either.
She told me to go back in an hour or so and she would make something up for me.
I was looking for advice tbh more than anything else. My view is, crop problems are best sorted as quickly as possible. I've been lucky in that I was on it very early.
One of the benefits of checking the tribes on a regular basis, not just when things have gone wrong.
I came back with a small bottle of liquid. The liquid comprised, garlic, thyme, a root extract I don't know the name of, liqorice root and lemon juice.
Fudge has been improving but she's been losing weight. Not a lot but she doesn't carry a lot anyway.
I'm going to write up the treatment she's had in case it helps someone else. But, my deciding line between sick and going downhill and sick but recovering is based on these things.
Are they eating?
Fudge wasn't eating really.
Are they grooming.
Fudge wasn't doing that either.
Posture.
Fudge's posture was not that of a fit and interested chicken. Head drawn in, seperate from the tribe, sitting too much and only really becoming alert when approached.
Fudge did eat a bit before going to roost. Her crop was about half full and she was huddled up next to Fat Bird when I first checked after roost time.

At 1,30 am I woke up and decided I would give Fudge the witches brew. It had to be warm, temeperature similar to what a lamb takes milk at. I've done a lot of that.
I took Fudge off her perch and tube fed the brew into her and put her back with her tribe.
I was a bit apprehensive when I opened Tribe 1 up this morning. The first thing I did was grab Fudge and feel her crop. It was completely empty. I mean so empty I could sqeeze it gently between my thumb and forefinger and not have to adjust the gap from the top to the bottom of the crop.:wee
There was a really stinky pile of blackish runny poop below where she perched.
Once I had her in the house she was obviously hungry and even after I had fed her 10cl of live yogurt with the coccivex and Flubenvet in she set about the commercial feed.
She's been a different hen today. Active, interested, in with the tribe and letting the juniors know she's still with us.
This was the poop she did before the yogurt and feeding.
View attachment 2431744
It's very runny but bits free and the urates are about right. The blackish liquid looks much like what went into her earlier.

It's not over yet. I still don't know what caused the slow/sour crop although I'm guessing all the stuff she ate when moulting eventually clogged her up.
She may have has worms. She may have had a bout of coccidiosis.
That's Fudge by the maternity unit. So good to see her foraging.
View attachment 2431748
This is Fudge with her daughter Tackle eating before going to roost.
View attachment 2431745
This is just the best news. Just wonderful. It is so nice to have some positive news on the thread. Thanks for letting us know. Hopefully she keeps improving. :yesss:

This is Mel. She's been pecking at my leg demanding food.
You may remember she got attacked and injured by a Goshawk a while ago and that I missed a puncture wound that became infected.
I've been cleaning her twice a day as well as dealing with Fudge.
Mel is still moulting but with regard to attitude and general fitness I would say she's going to be allright.
I'm not sure if the feathers around her chest and at the top underside of her wings will grow back this year but she's very much alive.
View attachment 2431765
More good news! It's is great to hear it. Truly I assumed she was doing well since you had not posted about her. I was sure you would tell us if she wasn't improving. Thanks for the update.

Monday Mug

20201130_213825.jpg

I went to see the Witch yesterday about Fudge. I explained my options naming all the chemicals. She wasn't impressed. Definitely a big NO to the acidified cooper sulphate. Not over keen on the anto yeast products either.
I was looking for advice tbh more than anything else. My view is, crop problems are best sorted as quickly as possible. I've been lucky in that I was on it very early.
One of the benefits of checking the tribes on a regular basis, not just when things have gone wrong.
I came back with a small bottle of liquid. The liquid comprised, garlic, thyme, a root extract I don't know the name of, liqorice root and lemon juice.
Fudge has been improving but she's been losing weight. Not a lot but she doesn't carry a lot anyway.
I'm going to write up the treatment she's had in case it helps someone else. But, my deciding line between sick and going downhill and sick but recovering is based on these things.
Are they eating?
Are they grooming.
Posture.
Fudge's posture was not that of a fit and interested chicken. Head drawn in, seperate from the tribe, sitting too much and only really becoming alert when approached.
Fudge did eat a bit before going to roost. Her crop was about half full and she was huddled up next to Fat Bird when I first checked after roost time.

At 1,30 am I woke up and decided I would give Fudge the witches brew. It had to be warm, temeperature similar to what a lamb takes milk at. I've done a lot of that.
I took Fudge off her perch and tube fed the brew into her and put her back with her tribe.
I was a bit apprehensive when I opened Tribe 1 up this morning. The first thing I did was grab Fudge and feel her crop. It was completely empty. I mean so empty I could sqeeze it gently between my thumb and forefinger and not have to adjust the gap from the top to the bottom of the crop.:wee
Once I had her in the house she was obviously hungry and even after I had fed her 10cl of live yogurt with the coccivex and Flubenvet in she set about the commercial feed.
She's been a different hen today. Active, interested, in with the tribe and letting the juniors know she's still with us.
View attachment 2431744
It's very runny but bits free and the urates are about right. The blackish liquid looks much like what went into her earlier.

It's not over yet. I still don't know what caused the slow/sour crop although I'm guessing all the stuff she ate when moulting eventually clogged her up.
View attachment 2431748
View attachment 2431745
So glad to hear that she's doing better Shad! I hope she is past whatever was bothering her!

I'm about to make something like your breakfast bar for the chickens here.
Make something? Sounds intriguing. Will you be taking progress photos to share with us? 🙏

The only effort I put in to my "breakfast bar" was to drag it into the run and flip it over so most of it was off the ground. The chooks have put more effort in by "sculpting" it with their pecking. It is a slightly different shape now to what it was two years ago.

Yeh! That's a really good one 🐶🐕:love does the song come off second best amongst all those gorgeous puppers, trying so hard to get their tricks right?
Yes it does a bit 😄. I'm too busy watching the dogs to pay much attention to the music, but I will find myself singing it later in the day!

Are they eating?
Are they grooming.
Posture.

View attachment 2431744

View attachment 2431748
View attachment 2431745
Sounds like your Wise Woman Witch has quite a bit of experience under her belt and takes no nonsense. (rather like yourself Shad).

I'm glad her brew has had such a good effect on Fudge. 👍

Back
Top Bottom