Kindred Spirits

We have had serious melt the last two days and beautiful skies with lots of sunshine. This morning was so nice that I went out and had coffee this morning with the flock as I sat in my chair under the magnolia tree. Of course we had a corn feeding frenzy. Why not?! We are celebrating the arrival of Spring.

Sansa Update
As you can see, Sansa was eating from my hand. She seems to be back to her own self.
View attachment 2546140

So this got me thinking that maybe the confinement itself was driving her behavior. I never really checked to see if Wyandottes bear confinement well. So I went out and started checking. Here is a quick summary of what I found.

Suitability to Backyard Life:​

Cold Hardiness: Hardy in winter
Heat Tolerance: Not especially heat hardy
Bears Confinement: Bears confinement well
Especially Docile: Yes
Setter/Broody: Yes
Personality: Generally easygoing with a tendency toward domination

Now I know these are general characteristics that I rail against because each chicken is an individual. I think that Sansa again proves these wrong.

So supposedly they bear confinement well. I do not believe that Sansa is normal in that way. I think her and I are kindred spirits in that we need to be "out". I really believe that she was upset by all of the time she was locked into the complex.

She is herself today. Even to the point of asking me for her secret walnuts. She certainly was not running from me but rather towards me. She even squatted for me. I really have not done that much to "win" back her affection. It has to be all the time that she was confined. I am wearing the same clothes as always, no lime green coat.

"Hey, where are my walnuts?"
View attachment 2546230
Oh look! Do I see grass? Go Philadelphia Phyllis!

I'm so glad that Sansa is talking to you again. 🥰 👍

Hi Bob, I direct dose by putting a full or half low dose right into her beak and let her swallow it.

So Ruby had 100cc of clear fluid drained off her abdomen. Avian vet indicated it was not yolky, pussy or bloody... just looked like general inflammation. Vet left treatment up to me to decide. Ruby had another hormone implant and will go on ibuprofen for inflammation. Fingers crossed she responds as well as she has in the past. We could always add antibiotics later if needed, but avian vet was OK with wait and see first.

Edited to add: Ruby will be four at the end of March.

Also, I forgot to mention Ruby looks MUCH better today than yesterday. I think the predator scare affected her. Today the flock acted normal.
That's good to hear. Thank you mcstrachan. May she respond well to treatment. :fl❤️

Well I missed Fluffy Butt Friday. :confused::(

But here is a picture of the whole flock (if you look carefully) under the lemon tree.
Deana is looking straight at the camera and Edwina is sporting a very fetching spiderweb cap.
IMG20210227174602.jpg

Something for Fun

I was googling around the internet and I happened across this website discussing Wyandottes. A quiz popped up to align me with my perfect chicken breed. So obviously I took the quiz. Here is the website in case you want to do so as well. The quiz pops up when you access the site.

https://www.thefeatherbrain.com/blog/wyandotte-chickens

Here is my "perfect" breed.
View attachment 2546062
I got Sydney! :wee ( or a close relative...)

Plymouth Rock​

1614420252226.png

Your chicken soulmate is the Plymouth Rock.

Well I missed Fluffy Butt Friday. :confused::(

But here is a picture of the whole flock (if you look carefully) under the lemon tree.
Deana is looking straight at the camera and Edwina is sporting a very fetching spiderweb cap.
View attachment 2547113
That spiderweb cap is very fashionable these days. Did I not see that on the Paris runway?

Back
Top Bottom