Hi everyone. So I’m feeling guilty about Ruby. I don’t know if I did the right thing with this last round of treatment. Wondering if euthanasia would have been more kind. I really, REALLY hope she feels good in awhile. When I medicated her tonight, I could HEAR her breathing. She no longer has a giant, swollen abdomen, so I’m not sure what’s causing that.

Dorothy, too. She squirted all over me during her last two doses.

The girls didn’t get out of the run AT ALL the past two days since I had birthday dinner for my sister Wednesday and board meeting g tonight (Thursday). I should get home in time for some run around time this weekend and they’ll h a be lots of time this weekend. It will be telling.

I’m starting to wonder if something is running through my flock. Ester isn’t laying, either.

Sorry for sounding like a downer. Just feeling a bit deflated for my poor, sweet birds. I will spoil them with weekend!
If you think there might be something running through the flock let's try and work it out. If you would like I am game to start walking through the details. We could set a time to be on together and sort of have a live conversation.

Just let me know. We can do it via PM or here on the thread.

I put a new water bowl out near the garage back door where I sit with them. Belle has gone nuts and drank so much water today that she’s was just pretty much passing water in the afternoon 😔
She seems fine in all other ways, eating, scratching, running around and finding her way onto our undercover area no matter how many obstacles I’ve put there to keep them out. (Why do chickens love sleeping on doormats so much?! Haha)

I’m thinking of worming tomorrow because they didn’t touch the last lot. Took their water out in the late afternoon once they were back in their run just incase. Have also made some sugar syrup up to add to the Kilverm water solution to make it a bit more palatable.

Anything else I should be concerned about with her drinking so much?

She’s about 25 weeks, not laying yet, and as I said, her other behaviours seem normal.

When it rains it pours!
View attachment 2619148
I have never noticed this before except when it was very hot. That doesn't mean anything other than I haven't noticed it. What is the temperature there?

This may be nothing other than thirst.
The not so good news. Excessive drinking here has usually meant crop/digestive problems.
First you have to watch and see if it is indeed excessive drinking and not just a bout of thirst.
Next you need to watch for her poop. If she is still eating well then there should still be solids, no matter how much she drinks.
Next you need to check her crop evening to make sure it is full and first thing in the morning before you let her out to eat. Her crop should be empty. This is a good time to check for any hard balls of stuff that may be obstructing her crop.
Worming is a good idea. Use a wormer that is known to work on all types of worms and make sure she gets the correct dose. Just putting it in her feed is not enough unless she eats all the feed that day.
That’s excellent advice Shad!

Thanks Shad.
I checked her crop at bedtime and it felt full. I’ll try catch her in the morning when I open up for them.I’ll be able to see in the morning what she’s pooped overnight also.
It’s a worming solution that goes in water, on my own I don’t think I can hold her and hold her beak open to give it to her. And then I keep reading about aspirating them and that freaks me out. Oh god, I’m hopeless...
Is it something I could do after nightfall, will she be easier in the dark to get out and dose direct?
Soak the wormer into some bread or something similar that she likes and then feed it to her directly. This is a great way to make sure they get the full dose.

Thanks Shad.
I checked her crop at bedtime and it felt full. I’ll try catch her in the morning when I open up for them.I’ll be able to see in the morning what she’s pooped overnight also.
It’s a worming solution that goes in water, on my own I don’t think I can hold her and hold her beak open to give it to her. And then I keep reading about aspirating them and that freaks me out. Oh god, I’m hopeless...
Is it something I could do after nightfall, will she be easier in the dark to get out and dose direct?
What make is the wormer?
Is it a powder or a liquid?
What is the dosage in ml or grams?
No, trying to feed chickens after they gone to roost often doesn't work. They tend to be reluctant to eat ime.

Back
Top Bottom