...the avian vet said hen illnesses are almost always caused by E.Coli ascending from the vent. I might become a neurotic butt cleaner.
Sorry. I misspoke here. The vet and I were discussing eggs without shells when she said this. She said if they are on a layer ration, a calcium metabolism issue is unlikely and that it’s almost always from E.Coli ascending from the vent. She also said it’s almost always cancer or a reproductive infection that “gets them” (hens) , but I think that’s pretty common knowledge for chicken keepers.

I only have a minute to pop in, it was a beautiful day and we're still outside enjoying the very last moments of it.

View attachment 2622189
There are 15 chickens in this picture. I know they are there and even I can't find them all!! The chooks enjoyed a very lovely 10 hours outside today.

View attachment 2622192
The grass was about 10 inches tall and thick! Rich had to borrow a bigger mower to get it down.

View attachment 2622193
Mama even had the babies out. All 5 are in the picture, see if you can find them.

View attachment 2622199
We cooked dinner on the fire tonight too.

View attachment 2622204
This day could not have ended more beautifully. ❤
Looks l like an amazing day!

Last edited:
What a day. It was beautiful out. I sunburned my shoulder a bit.

So poor Dorothy has declined. I have her her on enrofloxacin and calcium, as she keeps dropping soft eggs off the roost and doesn’t feel well. I’m very concerned. I might try her on an implant, too, but I cannot afford to keep two hens going on hormone implants indefinitely. This is hard.

Ruby had a relatively good day. She was almost as active as everyone else. It was warm, so the whole group was a bit subdued. In the cooler part of the day, she was just as active as her friends.

Minnie, not so much. She had a droopy tail most of the day. I’m worried about her, too.

With Minnie’s symptoms, the pullets having very pale combs and several having watery, slimy urates, I think something is going around the flock. Today I wormed them all with albendazole, except the two on enrofloxacin, who will get it later. I had never wormed my flock before, but something is going on, as I have too many birds who are not right. Tomorrow they’ll start on Corid (Amprolium) water, too. I had gotten away from throwing meds at everything, but I’m feeling a bit desperate.

The worming was quite the production. I decided to dose the liquid into little bits of bread, roll the bread into little balls, and pop them in. For some, it was easy. Others struggled. It took TWO bread bites for each chicken, so I would have to hold one somewhere while I dosed the first. I’d get a chicken between my criss-cross-apple-sauce legs, lean over her, grab her head and pry the beak open with the other hand. I’d hold the second bread ball between my lips. But my little thief, Flo, kept trying to steal them! One time, she jumped OVER a patient and grabbed a bread ball right out of my mouth! Despite the challenges, I eventually finished the task. A few of them even ate it readily.

I have been doing the bread method with Dorothy and Ruby, too. When I went to dose Ruby, we were swarmed. I wasn’t too worried, as the antibiotics are smaller volume and only require one piece of bread... no need to hold one in my lips. Well, Ruby fought me hard, and the next thing you know, her head and neck were gyrating in the strangest fashion! For a moment, I feared she had broken her neck and was dying. I was quite scared! I stroked the back of her neck and she snapped out of it. So strange! I will be sure she is away from the others for the remainder of her treatment doses. I’ll keep a close watch for wry neck, too.

So please think positive thoughts for Dorothy, Minnie and Ruby this week. If worms and/or coccidiosis are at play, I’m not sure when I can expect (hope) to see some improvement. Ester also isn’t laying. Dorothy, Minnie and Ester were raised together (by Cashew) as chicks, and I find it suspicious this age group seems to be struggling the most right now.

Sorry about the rambling and thanks for reading our woes! The good news is they got lots of free range time this weekend. :)

Happy Mugs Monday!

Flo
C3FC1CB2-E3D2-4E7E-AD7A-212F032415BD.jpeg

Minnie
4F87D5DD-7056-4369-8494-82A4D08BD3B1.jpeg

Cashew
E82D48ED-4586-4D40-B3A4-8372B9856323.jpeg

BYC keeps changing the order of my photos and replacing one of the names with an “attachments” link. The SLW is Roxy.

Attachments

• 019A946C-7410-4DC5-A5B5-7E8556AB18C1.jpeg
    019A946C-7410-4DC5-A5B5-7E8556AB18C1.jpeg
    804.1 KB · Views: 7
What a day. It was beautiful out. I sunburned my shoulder a bit.

So poor Dorothy has declined. I have her her on enrofloxacin and calcium, as she keeps dropping soft eggs off the roost and doesn’t feel well. I’m very concerned. I might try her on an implant, too, but I cannot afford to keep two hens going on hormone implants indefinitely. This is hard.

Ruby had a relatively good day. She was almost as active as everyone else. It was warm, so the whole group was a bit subdued. In the cooler part of the day, she was just as active as her friends.

Minnie, not so much. She had a droopy tail most of the day. I’m worried about her, too.

With Minnie’s symptoms, the pullets having very pale combs and several having watery, slimy urates, I think something is going around the flock. Today I wormed them all with albendazole, except the two on enrofloxacin, who will get it later. I had never wormed my flock before, but something is going on, as I have too many birds who are not right. Tomorrow they’ll start on Corid (Amprolium) water, too. I had gotten away from throwing meds at everything, but I’m feeling a bit desperate.

The worming was quite the production. I decided to dose the liquid into little bits of bread, roll the bread into little balls, and pop them in. For some, it was easy. Others struggled. It took TWO bread bites for each chicken, so I would have to hold one somewhere while I dosed the first. I’d get a chicken between my criss-cross-apple-sauce legs, lean over her, grab her head and pry the beak open with the other hand. I’d hold the second bread ball between my lips. But my little thief, Flo, kept trying to steal them! One time, she jumped OVER a patient and grabbed a bread ball right out of my mouth! Despite the challenges, I eventually finished the task. A few of them even ate it readily.

I have been doing the bread method with Dorothy and Ruby, too. When I went to dose Ruby, we were swarmed. I wasn’t too worried, as the antibiotics are smaller volume and only require one piece of bread... no need to hold one in my lips. Well, Ruby fought me hard, and the next thing you know, her head and neck were gyrating in the strangest fashion! For a moment, I feared she had broken her neck and was dying. I was quite scared! I stroked the back of her neck and she snapped out of it. So strange! I will be sure she is away from the others for the remainder of her treatment doses. I’ll keep a close watch for wry neck, too.

So please think positive thoughts for Dorothy, Minnie and Ruby this week. If worms and/or coccidiosis are at play, I’m not sure when I can expect (hope) to see some improvement. Ester also isn’t laying. Dorothy, Minnie and Ester were raised together (by Cashew) as chicks, and I find it suspicious this age group seems to be struggling the most right now.

Sorry about the rambling and thanks for reading our woes! The good news is they got lots of free range time this weekend. :)
Wow, you are awesome with your system of getting it into them! I hope it helps them and you can breathe easy again 💜
My thoughts will be with you and your tribe.

Back
Top Bottom