I kind of want to die. Queenie was killed today, we think by a hawk. Butters may have been the first target but she escaped with a couple of big tufts of hackle feathers out of her neck. A hawk, we think THE hawk, came back and flew down towards the body, while I was gone digging a grave for Queenie, DH saw it and chased it away.

We were home, out and about, and they were out in their yard. There was no sound that we heard, and it happened around the corner of the house just out of sight while we were moving the big wire run over to their yard to set it up there. We suddenly noticed we didn't see any chickens around, I went looking, only finding Queenie's body and seeing no others. Whatever it was had eaten some of her. But she was warm still, and limp except for her legs. Eventually one Buckeye came out of the coop box. The four had run into the coop tractor and up into the roosting enclosure, Butters far into the nest box. I need to check her body again but I found no blood, and she let me handle all of her except her neck area was very tender.

I am so sorry. I feel I got Queenie killed. And she is particularly dear to me. I have tried to let them be chickeny and also have been putting into place safety measures to try to minimize risk, which I knew there was - I accept that to some degree but I feel particularly guilty about putting the electric fencing not up to the back house deck. Peanut had tried to run under there before and encountered the fence. I had thought about doing that, but it would be in the way of gas deliveries and DH didn't want them hanging out on the deck and pooping on it. I think Queenie, who had also run to the house when there was a previous attack in this same area - another reason to not have widened the fence area to include this spot! - and she had run that way when this hawk came I think, and of course couldn't get past the net. There were fluff feathers there. She fought back though and made it halfway back towards the coop where she either died because of her injuries sustained already, or was overtaken again. I think Butters was attacked first and then Queenie, which makes her inability to escape due to what I did with the fencing, denying her the house which she probably had time to run to, really hard.

There aren't enough emojiis in the world :hit

I'm so sorry! I know it's hard, but please don't blame yourself. As terrible as it is, that is nature.

It would be very interesting to know what would happen if you removed the barrier between #1 and #2. Would #3 become favorite, or would they all pile in together into a bigger #1.
I used to have a slanted divider between the boxes until I was watching one day. Sydney was in box 1 and Aurora in box 2. Aurora kept pecking at Sydney the whole time they were laying. Therefore I replaced it with a full square to block it off so the others could not be tortured by Aurora while laying.

Thanks! Yeah, me too. My first ever chicken as a kid was a barred rock, it was a rooster (Jolly) and I'd play with him outside everyday... Swings, trampoline, sandbox, he'd ride on my bike handle bars..
What a wonderful rooster and great start to your relationship with these amazing animals.

More poo = more garden fertilizer so not all bad. 😁
SHRA Tax
VideoCapture_20180804-171848.jpg

That's Hattie with Jabber behind her, not new chicks. Just heading that off.

Yesterday was not the best of days. I was rear-ended. I'm pretty much ok, stiff, sore, and brushed today. I am waiting on CT scan for my neck as a precaution because of the cyst I have on my spinal cord.

View attachment 2666785

I was only 5 miles from my house so the police let me drive it home to save a tow bill.

The police were there because what initiated the crash was a postal worker delivering mail. She went to pull away from the mailbox and did not see the guy in front of me. He could not go around her because of the oncoming traffic.

I saw all this and stopped safely behind the guy in front of me. Suddenly I feel the impact and hear glass shatter as I'm pushed into the guy in front.

The kicker to all this is postal worker refused to give her information and left the scene. While she was not hit, she was at the very least a witness and needed to stay or give her info.

After the police finished with the 3 of us they were heading to the post office to find her and talk to her.

The guy in front of me only had a small scuff mark of his trunk where I was pushed I to him. I was the cream filling in a car sandwich.
I'm late but glad you are ok. I hate that this happened and hope there is no worsening damage to your back. I was with a friend and he was rear ended when I was 20. That accident left me with 4 bulging disks in my neck, and 4 bulging plus 1 herniated disk in my lower back. All because a teenager was looking for his dropped cell phone. Over the years have learned to live with the nagging ache in my lower back, but, that is the one reason why even though we have 3 horses, and I love to ride I can't ride them. Even Russ, who has the smoothest gait, if i'm on him at a walk for more than 5 minutes my right leg goes numb and my back is throbbing for a few days afterwards. It breaks my heart telling Rosie I can't when she asks me to go with her and her papaw on trail rides. She's even offered up Russ telling me she'd ride Louis if I would come.

O.M.G.
This is....I don't know what this is... a documentary? A sitcom?
All I know is I'm in for a world of trouble if my girls do this when they begin laying :th

Soap opera is what you're looking for. 🤣

'AS THE EGG TURNS' :lau

I have 14 that do this daily. The racket they make and jockeying for position is insane some days.

Back
Top Bottom