That's fun. You never know which.
Door number #1. ?
Door number #2. ?
Or door number #3 ?
Beetov-Hen on boxes.JPG

Worm Day

Every year the day I close off the garden is both exciting and sad for the ladies. There are lots of worms to eat and it's the last day of digging in the garden for them.

Yesterday was extra special for them as the frame for my raised bed had disintegrated and had to be rebuilt. That meant lots of extra digging in my part which meant many many many worms.

Phyllis did not leave my side all day. The others went to dustbathe and such, not Phyllis. I could not believe that she could eat so many worms.

Sansa got the big prize. The only grub of the day was her's.

Here are the girls tilling and leveling the garden with the new frame in place.
View attachment 2672042

Here is the garden planted with the fencing up and chickens evicted.
View attachment 2672047

After a long day of working in the garden I settled down under the tree for a beer and 2 wonderful things happened.

First one of the cat birds which are nesting under our bedroom window came over to the fountain for a drink.

View attachment 2672052

As the sun set for the day I had a special moment with Hattie. She is to the point now that I can pretty much pet her whenever I want. Well yesterday she came and laid down by my chair for 30 minutes until I went in for the night. Such a sweet lady.
View attachment 2672059
What an OUTStanding ! Day Mr. & Mrs I bet the beer hit the spot!

2 days friends, 2 days of momma hen back to laying and laying in a normal nest box before she started trying to hide her eggs again. I found her while getting hay for the horses this morning, back in her hidden nest that was left un touched after she hatched out Squirrel and her brother. I will NOT let her sit this time and she's going to hate me. But raising her last two took a toll on her, I do not like her weight. She needs to eat and take care of herself for a while and not be giving everything to her chicks. Holly on the other hand, is going to love me, my neighbor up the road asked me if I would use my incubator and test out her silkie's eggs fertility for her. The incubator is cleaned and stored but I have 8 eggs coming and will set Holly this afternoon. I'll also let her have one of her own eggs which I know have been fertile so at least if the silkie eggs are dud's she should hatch something. I hate for a hen to put in all that work and get no reward. Plan c is if she sits and nothing hatches, found out tractor supply only has a 3 chick minimum so will pick her up 3 and let her raise them and then rehome once she's done.

2 days friends, 2 days of momma hen back to laying and laying in a normal nest box before she started trying to hide her eggs again. I found her while getting hay for the horses this morning, back in her hidden nest that was left un touched after she hatched out Squirrel and her brother. I will NOT let her sit this time and she's going to hate me. But raising her last two took a toll on her, I do not like her weight. She needs to eat and take care of herself for a while and not be giving everything to her chicks. Holly on the other hand, is going to love me, my neighbor up the road asked me if I would use my incubator and test out her silkie's eggs fertility for her. The incubator is cleaned and stored but I have 8 eggs coming and will set Holly this afternoon. I'll also let her have one of her own eggs which I know have been fertile so at least if the silkie eggs are dud's she should hatch something. I hate for a hen to put in all that work and get no reward. Plan c is if she sits and nothing hatches, found out tractor supply only has a 3 chick minimum so will pick her up 3 and let her raise them and then rehome once she's done.
It sounds like you've got it worked out pretty well!

Worm Day

Every year the day I close off the garden is both exciting and sad for the ladies. There are lots of worms to eat and it's the last day of digging in the garden for them.

Yesterday was extra special for them as the frame for my raised bed had disintegrated and had to be rebuilt. That meant lots of extra digging in my part which meant many many many worms.

Phyllis did not leave my side all day. The others went to dustbathe and such, not Phyllis. I could not believe that she could eat so many worms.

Sansa got the big prize. The only grub of the day was her's.

Here are the girls tilling and leveling the garden with the new frame in place.
View attachment 2672042

Here is the garden planted with the fencing up and chickens evicted.
View attachment 2672047

After a long day of working in the garden I settled down under the tree for a beer and 2 wonderful things happened.

First one of the cat birds which are nesting under our bedroom window came over to the fountain for a drink.

View attachment 2672052

As the sun set for the day I had a special moment with Hattie. She is to the point now that I can pretty much pet her whenever I want. Well yesterday she came and laid down by my chair for 30 minutes until I went in for the night. Such a sweet lady.
View attachment 2672059
THAT sounds like a FANTASTIC day! Truly my favorite kind of day. And that Hattie.... :love 💕:love

Back
Top Bottom