Ok, brains trust, I am thinking ahead to winter. We have had a few wet days so far this autumn and with our run not being covered I am thinking of solutions to the slushy cesspool potential of the ground before it happens.
I was originally thinking of a tarp over most of the top but I don’t think i will get it tight enough so the rain water will pool and won’t be a solution at all.
So I guess my question is what do you think will work as a ground cover in the run that will not get slushy but will not be too harsh on the girls soft beautiful feet? I think bark chips may present a problem but any opinions will be taken on board 😁
Thank you in advance 😊

Edited to add these pics, 2 things I found at my supply place that could work. Not as harsh as wood chips I don’t think but may provide a healthy cover and drain enough through to the soil but not allow it to be muddy ground if it is a thick enough covering 🤷🏻‍♀️
View attachment 2675840
View attachment 2675841

In the states people swear by pellet horse bedding.
Screenshot_20210518-070141_Google.jpg

For those out of the states, I've heard a lot of folks like hemp bedding. We can't get that easily here, yet.

Thanks, everyone. Ruby is still with us, but doesn’t want to come out. She was sitting face to face with Millie, and I brought some baby bird formula for them to share. Millie went right into it, but Ruby slowly walked to another box with her face in the corner. I feel bad for disturbing them and hope Ruby returns to Millie for comfort. I’m so sad.
At least she is in familiar surroundings with friends close by. I know that doesn't make it any easier for you though. 😞 ❤️ :hugs

Ok, brains trust, I am thinking ahead to winter. We have had a few wet days so far this autumn and with our run not being covered I am thinking of solutions to the slushy cesspool potential of the ground before it happens.
I was originally thinking of a tarp over most of the top but I don’t think i will get it tight enough so the rain water will pool and won’t be a solution at all.
So I guess my question is what do you think will work as a ground cover in the run that will not get slushy but will not be too harsh on the girls soft beautiful feet? I think bark chips may present a problem but any opinions will be taken on board 😁
Thank you in advance 😊

Edited to add these pics, 2 things I found at my supply place that could work. Not as harsh as wood chips I don’t think but may provide a healthy cover and drain enough through to the soil but not allow it to be muddy ground if it is a thick enough covering 🤷🏻‍♀️
View attachment 2675840
View attachment 2675841
Don't buy straw. I did once and it gets slippery when wet. 😵

I know Ribh uses sugar cane mulch and I have found it drains pretty well at my place when put down thickly. I was going to suggest stepping stones for you to pick your way across the ground but I like @featherhead007 's suggestion of the pallets if you can get them.

Thank you in advance 😊

View attachment 2675840
View attachment 2675841
Tan bark will work if you get it deep enough.

Back
Top Bottom