Naenae update

She passed a soft shell egg last night. Full sized, just soft. We thought she would be ready to rejoin the others this morning.
Unfortunately, Naenae was still off this morning. Hubby put her outside before checking with me. I brought her back in bc she hadn't pooped in the "hospital" overnight. Good thing I did too - the other birds were curious about her backside and wanted to peck her 🥺
So bath time again.
Gave her fresh yogurt and feed mix and she ate a little. Had to get to my day job (yeah, the one that pays the chicken bills). Checked in on her about 90 minutes later and still no poo.
I wore gloves and lubricated a finger to determine what was going on with this poor girl. I could feel the egg. She expressed some watery poo.
I had adjusted the hospital to be darker in hopes it would prevent her internal clock from producing more eggs and to also feel more like a nesting box.
She used the bedding mat I put in, made a nest and sat.
About an hour later she had a hard shell egg under her. Wrinkly, but a full shell.

She still wasn't pooping, so I gave her an Epsom salt bath and wrapped her in a towel and held her while I wrote up contracts.
She was getting fidgety and crying for her sisters.
Took her outside and let her explore in front of the chicken yard. Her sisters were VERY jealous.
Naenae was feeling much better and scratched at the ground and ate at least FOUR worms.
She pooped 2x too!
So I put her back with the others and her tail is high and she is happy and running around and took a long dust bath too.

I'm telling you...I don't know if my heart can take all this! I've been crying off and on for these past 36 hours with literal tears because I'm trying my best to make sure she is healthy. And I didn't know if she would be past a 24 hour mark of feeling poorly.
Okay red you just got me back for all my redhead comments. I have high blood pressure, but it just spiked when you said “she passed “ in the beginning of the post. Don’t scare me like that gezz! :eek:

Naenae is struggling again today. 🥺
Brought her into the house this morning. Did the Epsom salt bath again. Gave her layer feed mixed with whole greek yogurt. She is very tired, but is eating and drinking water.
She isn't pooping normally. Much smaller amounts. The color looks normal.
She did have quite a bit of dried poo under her fluff. I got it off...very carefully bc I didn't want to hurt her or scare her. It took me two different attempts bc I was being so cautious.
I am keeping her in overnight to observe her. This is how she acted last week right before the shell less egg.
She is so young, and her eggs are generally large and double yoked.

I have them on layer pellets and have oyster shell out 100% of the time in a separate feeder...not sure why her shells are giving such issues. 🥺
Double yolks on a regular basis are worrying. One of my sisters hens called Mo has been laying 4oz double yolkers.

Back
Top Bottom