I got a fan (not a misting one) but can't figure out how to use it. Doesn't yours stir up a lot of dust?
Whenever Maggie does one of her 'see I can fly too' imitations there is a lot of dust and when the Roadrunners actually fly for real there are clouds of it. I am struggling to see how I can get the benefit of a fan without a dust cloud.
Maybe the mister is the key and I should get one of those. I like the fan a lot and have it on me when I sit out in the chicken yard with them but I haven't actually used it for the Princesses yet.
:idunno
Mine don’t seem to stir up dust, but it’s not like they’re large box fans. I have a few 8-inch and a few if the smaller size… 3.5-4-inch (I’m not sure exactly).

Hmmm, I could assemble my purchases and post what I got. I mostly clicked through on Bob's links in his draft article post. Unfortunately the metal test tube rack he chose was not available. I then spent a great deal of time figuring out the size of the tubes he recommended (the diameter) and finding a different rack to fit that size, and not too big a rack, with decent ratings. Interestingly, I found there is a hot market in tubes and racks. Most people seem to be buying these things up to make liquor servers or something. All for very scientific research, I'm sure!
I haven't further unwrapped things to see if it all works or fits yet.
Oooh! I forgot about Bob’s article! (sorry Bob!) Can I be obnoxious and ask someone to relink it?

Careful now. Mrs BY Bob is Italian-Irish and she NEVER cusses. She is a true lady.

Now BY Bob is a different story. :oops:
Oh, goodness. She is indeed a lady. Some cuss words are my favorite words. But I never cuss at work and very rarely in public. It’s my family that gets to put up with my mouth. 🤣

Basil is letting me know its time for bed and that I'm late on placing him on the roost. He can get up there himself, but if daddy Drumstick does not have to. Neither does he. I have too many spoiled chickens, Oh well, its the price I pay to have friendly pets. He stayed right in that spot until I started putting the other's on the roost then he came running for his turn.
View attachment 2774775View attachment 2774777
He’s beautiful!

Remember you can also pull the hot air out from a high location, which pulls in cooler lower air. You don't have to push cooler air in. So the fan could be up high somewhere pointing outside.
Very good point. I often hang one on the upper coop pushing air in and out through the window on the other side. It might work well to pull from that side! Except… the roosts are lower than the opposing window and one is the same level as the spot where I clip the fan.

I should have asked but I just assumed after the vet visit she was improving. I'm sorry to her she is still struggling. She has such a strong will to fight though. :hugs :hugs
No worries, Bob. It’s just like last time. A couple better days post vet visit followed by me feeling guilty that I should have put her down and some horrible days. She’s very weak and stumbling, but still hungry. This morning her crop wasn’t empty and she wouldn't really eat, so I figured her digestive system was shutting down. But after work, her crop was a bit better (I think) and she was hungry. I carried her inside and provided cooked brown rice, baby bird formula and scrambled egg sitting in dextrose water. She ate some of each. I also provided tuna, but discovered upon opening the can it was in oil. She didn’t eat it, but the rest of the flock gobbled it down, starting with Lucky who is molting and can use the protein.

While inside, I tried to clean up her poopy back end a bit without wetting her by using warm wet washcloth and scissors. It occurred to me that at least the poop all over her was real poop. I am hopeful if she gains strength, she will stop soiling herself, but she’s too weak to stand at bedtime and is sleeping laying down.

Post indoor feeding, Ruby VERY slowly walked around the green grassy area and seemed to forage. At one point when I wasn’t looking, she went to bed on the floor. I moved her up to the shelf and hung a poop catcher over her, since she settled directly under Lucky’s roosting spot.

I will continue to support her the best I can and hope she gains strength. I vowed awhile back not to tube her, as she’s been through so much for so long, I don’t want to force her to live. I will continue private feedings before and after work if she’s still eating on her own.

New trial with my turkeys and rooster. My Bramha rooster and my two Tom's are starting to fight. I just stood there and watched to make sure the turkeys don't kill my rooster. Obviously it's two against one. I got scared and picked up my rooster to get it to stop but he wasn't having any of that. As soon as I put him back down on the ground he went after the turkeys again. So the watching continued. The turkeys hit the rooster a few times with there wings and tried to use a bit of feet action but they used there wings more then anything. My rooster was not impressed with there ninja skills. So he showed the two turkeys what a real ninja looks like. It was amazing. The rooster knocked both of them on there feathery butts and the turkeys came running to me to protect them. 😁 was funny in away. Anyway the turkeys backed down and now know not to mess with Roscoe the rooster. Thor and Odin the turkeys are giving Roscoe his dew respect 👏.
Wow, that's some gutsy rooster. A video of that would have been amazing. (but your description is pretty amazing too. 😁)

Back
Top Bottom