Construction Continues

The first thing I have to do today is correct an error in the roof. You can see in the photo that it is not in square. This is because one of the stud openings is a little too small and is pinching. I need to take it out and open it up a little wider. I have also decided to have Mrs BY Bob paint it before I put it back in.

20210731_171719.jpg

I think that while she is painting I am going to start addressing the window.

Off we go!

Yes I will. The coop will be decorated fully. We are trying to decide on color scheme, etc.
Most color schemes use a pink for strong contrast with the mint. Something a little softer looking like peach or a pastel yellow would also compliment the original coop. If you're leaning towards neutrals, white or light grey would keep with the freshness of the mint.

I'm bummed about the fox too. Had a hen on eggs, but by the time we figured out what had happened (next day in daylight), too late. Also bummed because Buster was gorgeous. Silver laced wyandotte, had the color for showing (weren't planning on it, but watching him 😍). He had spurs almost 2 inches long and we found his feathers scattered in a 6-8 foot circle. I'm hoping he put those spurs to good use in that fight. The foxes took half a dozen hens at the same time, and went over the neighbor's 6-7 foot fence to go into their coop the week before.
Oh no! This is terrible. I’m so sorry to hear this. :hugs

View attachment 1633786

I have been wanting to do this for some time now. I knew once I started doing this there would be no going back. So I am now diving in and I hope you all enjoy coming along for the ride.

First of all let me tell you how we view our flock as that will help you to understand why we treat them like we do.

Our birds are our pets and we treat them as such. We do not care if someone is not laying eggs. They are welcome to stay at Fluffy Butt Acres until they pass naturally. (Now don't go telling them that! I would hate for word to get out) We do thoroughly enjoy the fresh eggs.

I plan to tell stories from the past as well as from today. I hope you all enjoy and will share stories of your flocks as well.
I also considered calling my non-commercial "operation" "Fluffy Butz" or something like it. Great minds etc. !

Final Update from Today's Build

The roof is in. Apparently we had scheduled dinner with our friends whom had cared for the chickens while we were gone, for tonight. As Mrs BY Bob reminded me 30 minutes before they arrived. So I had to stop at the roof which I just got done in time. I did find something I will need to correct but it is essentially complete. The sides, nest box, and window will have to wait for tomorrow.

Some of you might be wondering, why did he put a roof on a coop that is in a covered run? Simple answer, the run roof leaks and I can't have the Phyllistines getting damp.

View attachment 2781103
It’s looking fantastic, Bob! How was dinner with friends?

All settled into coop. Mama picked the warmest corner to bed down in (with the new bedding 😁) and only verbally protested when all the bigger littles went by on their way up to roost. Storm settled in next to/under Mama as another storm rolls in. 🌧 We need the rain. Covid emergency was cancelled in June so Drought emergency could be instated. Never thought I'd be praying for an early winter, but fire season started in May. Smoke isn't as bad as summer of 88, though.
Where do you live? Sorry if you already posted that. I’m in California, where fire season started early, too. And I’m pretty sure this year’s drought is breaking records.
🙁

Where do you live? Sorry if you already posted that. I’m in California, where fire season started early, too. And I’m pretty sure this year’s drought is breaking records.
🙁
Montana. We're getting your smoke..and Idaho's and Oregon's and Washington's and Canada's in addition to our own. My babies (9weeks) are molting (auto correct tried jolting 😂 they're doing that too with all the juvenile posturing), but I think the adults are too. I keep finding feathers larger than anything the babies are sporting. It's early for moult....Frost/winter will mess up the farmers...and the ranchers' feed supplies, but we need it. can birds moult out feathers for cooling?

Bath Time!

Aurora got her first bath yesterday. It was very traumatic for her. As you all know, she hates human contact. I had to trick her to even grab her. Her butt was a mess but it is clean now. I could not let go of her in the water like all of the others. She never relaxed. 😬

View attachment 2190467

My poor wet girl afterwards. No blow dry for her. 😔

I bet she doesn't come near me for days. 😥
She ever settle in for another bath? Or at least a blow dry?

Most color schemes use a pink for strong contrast with the mint. Something a little softer looking like peach or a pastel yellow would also compliment the original coop. If you're leaning towards neutrals, white or light grey would keep with the freshness of the mint.
Thank you so much! That is so very helpful. I'll let mrs BY Bob know

Back
Top Bottom