Oh Shad I am so happy for you (and for them). They will learn how to be chickens from you! I hope it isn't all too stressful.
I almost daren't ask - but are their beaks intact?
Their beaks have not been cut thankfully. For Ex Batts and rescues they are in above average condition. My job now is to get them as healthy as I can and help them lead a more dignified live befitting their species.
I have written on numerous posts that I will not buy live animals and in the vent that I can no longer live with the tribes, I would like to care for those chickens that have been fortunate enough to escape from the horrendous conditions we, people, have kept themin so we can have chheap eggs and meat.

This is amazing, Shad! Highlight of my day for sure....and probably the highlight of many of your days 😊
Yep, I'll get some decent pictures up eventually. The place where they live is quite lovely and even though it's only 150 metres away from a major road out of the city, it's quiet and peacful there.

Hi all, another 'blast from the past' as I move through this thread. Sorry if I mess you up.

@Shadrach, I do all of this (except the ladder - my replacement knee & 'needs to be replaced knee' don't do well with ladders and holding a pole/chicken!) You put it sooo eloquently! :thumbsupWish I could still free range, but circumstances prevent it now :( However, when I did, I would always call them (here chicky, chicky) to get their pm 'snack', and lock them in their run..and then they would roost (mostly) in the coop...some liked - PERPETUALLY - specific roosts in the run even though the coop roosts were higher. I used to get them off the outside roosts exactly as you stated, by putting my wrist or forearm at that spot & they just climb right on! I find I can 'pick up' semi-flighty hens this way if I need to look them over, too. I just have my second hand hover over their backs in case they think of flying off (of course, health checks are done in full light, preferably!)

I did have a Rooster that would fly into high bushes, low trees constantly to roost, though - not come in with the others (lower on rooster totem pole). After dark, he would be impossible to find given dense bittersweet and grape vines on everything & him being a dark Cornish. I started 'talking to it' (buuuk, buk, buk, buk...and he would answer me, so I knew where to shine the light & could then 'discover' his roost. I'ld take him off just as you described (all but one of his 'favorite' roosting spots I could, thankfully, reach with my hand from the ground - about 6 +/- ft. up.) I love your 'roosting' pole...I used an old push broom that I tore the worn bristles out of, and put a screw in to keep it from twisting. I like your roost better!

I should see what other articles you have written - you are a wealth of knowledge, and I love :lovereading your posts and following your links to informative articles & studies.
I'm pleased you enjoy my posts.:)
I try on Bobs thread to restrict myself to post mainly about chickens. It is after all what BYC is supposed to be about and Bob has made considerabel efforts to ensure that chickens are the main topic of conversation here. It's one of the few threads left where you can find sensible advice, friendly people and not too much whining about life.
Much of what I write has been common knowledge recently forgotton so I'm not at all surprised to read you've been getting your chickens out of the trees in a similar manner. After all, even with physical limitations there comes a certain age when tree climbing as a necessity becomes unseemly. Add to this that one advantage apparently to getting older is you get wiser and a long pole with any end attatchment is the intelliigent way to go about this particular problem.:p
I've written a few articles that you may enjoy. You can find them on my profile page.

You're right, it doesn't seem to be sour crop. It's strange, though. She was on some very strong antibiotics because it was too late to try natural remedies (it progressed very quickly), and she seemed to be getting better very quickly. But a few days later we noticed that her crop was swelling again.

Thank you for all of your help, it is very appreciated!
Antibiotics can be responsible for slow crop which if you catch, as you seem to have, early enough, will not develope inot full blown sour crop.

Wait, @Sharach, I know I'm behind ('up to' page 600 now!..trying to plow forward & keep up with new posts)), but what happened to your tribes:confused:? I loved hearing about & seeing them. :love You were the prefect chicken tender (occupation, not food!:p) of them.
He was forced to leave them behind and return to England by Brexit.

Back
Top Bottom