I really like that name for some reason. Maybe because I more associate it with the sun. 🌞
I like the name, but when she suggested it I tried to convince her Corina was a better choice. It was more feminine. I was almost successful to. Then the brat chose to that opportunity to terrorize and steal a piece of bread from the cochin girls. She had them running from her. Mom is like, nope it's Rona, there is nothing feminine about that girl.

Today, I was at my grans and they bought 2 chickens.I was to keep them as pets after what seemed like 6 months.I have a wooden coop I’ll keep them in.There was 1 male :a beautiful white Turkish chicken and a female:idk what breed😅.The female while coming here took courage and did something in the cage.The sweetheart laid an egg!EVEN WHILE IN THE CAGE TIED UP.now they’re roaming in the garden.check it out!View attachment 2845858View attachment 2845859View attachment 2845860View attachment 2845861
So exciting!

Meet Henry The Second and his hens!
These are all Ex Batts or rescues.
I'll be looking after them along with another person for the forseeable future.
They all live on a large allotment plot about 5 mins walk from my daughters.
I'll get some better pictures up later.
There is a lot of work to do. The start was made this morning when they all got out of their run for the first time together.:celebrate
The first project is to increase the size of their run. There is just about enough grunt left in me to get a fence up and maybe even build a new coop. Negotiations are currently in progress.
I picked Henry The Second up today and a few of his hens. I haven't held a rooster for almost five months!
View attachment 2843499View attachment 2843506View attachment 2843507
Oh, Shad!!! This is so wonderful!!! I can’t wait to read of your adventures with them. They look very happy to be outside! ❤️

Congrats on that first egg, it is always something special. If she's been with the roo from the beginning it probably is fertile. A couple things to consider though if you really want her to hatch. Was this her first egg? If so you do not want to incubate the first pullet eggs. You need to wait a few weeks for the eggs to come up to size. While the pullet eggs can still be incubated, you run the risk of hatching difficulties where the chick does not have enough room or gets malposition and can not hatch without assistance. I've had to do a few assisted hatches due to mal-positioning and they are not fun. These were not on pullet eggs either, full size Marans eggs, but a few just grow so big they can not hatch without help. Assisted hatch chicks are weak the first few days and sadly I've had a few not make it even with extra help. Another thing to consider is as I'm assuming your in the United States that winter is coming on. If she is broody she wont sit until she's laid a clutch, and we will assume she'll lay around 7 or so before she's ready. You are looking at chicks hatching towards the end of October, which where I'm at is a terrible time to have young chicks. My 1 hen has 2 that are almost 2 weeks old and Thursday the temperatures dropped down to the mid 40's and night and 70s during the day. Frick and Frack are freezing first thing in the mornings and Holly is having to have them under her every 5 minutes or so to keep them warm until mid-morning. If you really want her to hatch and raise her own babies, I'm all for it, and I wish you well. But it will be better to wait until spring if you can for everyone involved.
:goodpost:Well said @RebeccaBoyd! @Afi, please read and consider this advice.

Look at Hazel's tail! She's been molting and not feeling well. She's quite standoffish and doesn't mix it up with everyone for treats or mash balls. Been feeding her ones on the sly, if she'll take them. She rests under the lilac bush a lot. She's grouchy. Look how there's just one feather left back there!
PXL_20210925_150330452.jpg

Hazel: What are you looking at?
Me: Your beautiful new neck feathers. Also your tail.
PXL_20210925_150405353.jpg

Hazel: Hey! Don't be taking pictures of me like this! Didn't you mention maybe I'd like something called sardines? Well put your phone down and get busy with that, please!
PXL_20210925_150409985.jpg

Back
Top Bottom