RC, in my experience, my chickens have never weighed what the hatchery (nor livestock conservancy) states the breed should weigh. I believe those weights were for the true heritage breeds before they became so productionized. So, if their breast muscles feel good on either side of their keel bone, and they look healthy & act robust, I wouldn't worry about their weight relative to that listed. I think that now that you have the scale and can track their weights, this will be a better measure of if they are getting heavy or skinny - comparing to themselves over time. Hopefully Minnie will put on a few ounces over the next few days/next week.

That scale looks easy enough to use if you have a hen that will stand still! Do you have a table/counter/bench you put it on when you weigh them? How long do they have to stand still for it to give a readout?
Unfortunately, I am unable to use the 'hold chicken and stand on scale' method because (pardon the TMI) both the belly & the chest prevent me from being able to read the scale while I am on it. 🙁😞🙁

Tax: (Sorry Bob)
I agree you don’t need to worry about the absolute weight. I don’t think I’ve had a single hen weigh what they should if they were true to standard.

Given all the rest of the shite most hatcheries get up to a bit of beak trimming isn't that bigger deal. Check out what happens to all the cockerel chicks.
:mad:
It really is very simple. If you don't like the egg trade you don't buy their eggs.
If you want long livng healthy hens where there male siblings aren't thrown into a grinder then don't get chickens from hatcheries.
This is so true. I just don’t know where to get chicks in California. There is a place that will DELIVER the chicks vs. sending them in the mail (I think it’s called Dare to Dream,) but it’s still a hatchery.

Thank you. That perspective would be very helpful.
I will link to the scale when I go back in and find it. I am staying out until Minnie stops foraging.
Honestly she looks fantastic today but then she squirts out liquid and I get all worried again.
She is not needing resuscitation rations so we are in a better place than a week ago. But I would just like one more-or-less normal poo before I relax!View attachment 2875028View attachment 2875029
I think she’s looking great. My young ones taking their first molt really hard also had liquid poo for quite awhile.

Minnie eventually went to bed.
This new vet I like so much has helped to create a monster with her resuscitation idea of giving Minnie Gatorade. It is now Minnie's go-to last thing at night drink. I guess I can't tell her it will rot her teeth! :lau
Maybe it is OK for a while to make sure she is getting rapidly absorbed calories and electrolytes.

Here is the link to the scales I got:
https://www.amazon.com/Nicewell-Digital-Graduation-Stainless-Tempered/dp/B07S6F6LHQ
I have a similar scale, but it’s slippery and sometimes difficult to get them to stand still. Once I wrapped Minnie up like a burrito with a pillow case and a binder clip and set her on the scale. 🤣

Henry 11 going to collect the trouble Golden Comet.
View attachment 2875105
Frankly I would have thought facing outward would be a safer option.:confused:
View attachment 2875113
Lagbar Digging Co Ltd
View attachment 2875117
Matilda. She lets the others dig and then shows up for the spoils.
View attachment 2875118
One of my regular trip hazzards.
View attachment 2875119
Henry 11 helping out.
View attachment 2875120
Not helping out enough it seems.
View attachment 2875122
Wonderful! I know I already said it, but I’m so happy to see you with chickens.

Back
Top Bottom