I do a quick version (and without fish sauce), and yes, it is very easy.

Chop up Napa cabbage and salt it. Let drain then rinse throughly.
Chop up whatever other veggies you want in it (I usually do carrots, garlic, green onions and peppers)
Make a "sauce" with Sriracha, rice vinegar (or white vinegar) and sesame oil. Whisk together, pour over veggies.
As I am super impatient, I add a little hot water to the mix to help soften veggies faster.

Mix throughly, let sit for 30 minutes (up to a week).

I don't have measurements, all by taste and look šŸ˜± but there are lots of "quick" recipes that will give an idea.

My crew looooves it. We are spicy folks šŸŒ¶
We tank you for der most honorable ancient family recipes. :bow! Duz Kimchi taste goood, with flied lice, an Swimp?
(pronunciation brought to you by old grandfather :old šŸ˜‘

We even lowered the roost so the 2Red's could got up on them, and they can. The can get on the outdoor roost too.
View attachment 2876501 View attachment 2876510
It is just such a fight with all of the others that rather than get power pecked they hide in the box,
I think once everyone gets to laying eggs things will settle down and then I will tell Red 1 aka Cinnamon and Red 2 aka Nutmeg it is time they buck up and get back to the roost Hahahaha šŸ˜‚ So, I am not worried about them sleeping in there now, its all good
That's the thing. They are too small right now to take Phyllis pecking. Eventually they are going to have to take it though. It is just this interim time period I need to deal with.

I do a quick version (and without fish sauce), and yes, it is very easy.

Chop up Napa cabbage and salt it. Let drain then rinse throughly.
Chop up whatever other veggies you want in it (I usually do carrots, garlic, green onions and peppers)
Make a "sauce" with Sriracha, rice vinegar (or white vinegar) and sesame oil. Whisk together, pour over veggies.
As I am super impatient, I add a little hot water to the mix to help soften veggies faster.

Mix throughly, let sit for 30 minutes (up to a week).

I don't have measurements, all by taste and look šŸ˜± but there are lots of "quick" recipes that will give an idea.

My crew looooves it. We are spicy folks šŸŒ¶
Sounds delish! I thought Kimchi was a fermented food. (?)

Tax (the original four as pullets):
13996FA5-896F-4490-BFCF-BAF48BDD3B88.jpeg

Another option would be to take away her daylight and stop her laying "naturally". I feel like a reset to her egg laying process might help to put everything back on track. This assumes of course that she is not laying internally.
True. It doesnā€™t sound like much fun for her. Iā€™m not sure how many days it would take, either. I also found a third egg membrane (like it had been a soft egg, but maybe someone ate the insides) on the ground. Sheā€™s going haywire like Naenae.

Last edited:
This is my problem as well. Of course no one will be laying eggs for months so I have use of the box. Unfortunately, I would also be training them to sleep in the nest box which eventually will be a bad idea.

What to do? What to do? What to do?
Bob, Iā€™m wondering if youā€™re overthinking it. Phyllis is definitely putting them in their place, but I donā€™t think she really wants to harm themā€¦ or else she would. This is still better than them integrating at this age with the full tribe, which could get dangerous. Is there a way you can temporarily configure tge Chuckle Hut so there is a barrier? Is there one door only? How does the nest box open? On that note, it will be interesting to see what nest site Phyllis chooses when she comes back into lay.

Mixing it Up

The tribe is going to be locked in the complex all day today.

Together

I believe that there are plenty of things to protect the littles but there are corners. They need to be smart and not panic. šŸ˜¬

Here is an early video of them enjoying their day until Sydney comes by. Then Hattie comes around.

I will be back shortly after dark so I will be able to correct any roosting issues.
That wasnā€™t bad at all, Bob! It will be great when they calm down snd when their voices change.

We even lowered the roost so the 2Red's could got up on them, and they can. The can get on the outdoor roost too.
View attachment 2876501 View attachment 2876510
It is just such a fight with all of the others that rather than get power pecked they hide in the box,
I think once everyone gets to laying eggs things will settle down and then I will tell Red 1 aka Cinnamon and Red 2 aka Nutmeg it is time they buck up and get back to the roost Hahahaha šŸ˜‚ So, I am not worried about them sleeping in there now, its all good
Be still my heart. Is that a Brown Leghorn on the edge of the photo? ā¤ļø

Back
Top Bottom