Near Tragedy 😨

It happens at some point with every new arrival at Fluffy Butt Acres. Let me take you through it.

Yesterday was a spectacular late October day. Sun, Blue Sky, and thankfully warm 76°F (24°C). I had no meetings after lunch time so I set myself up on the deck and released the littles to enjoy the beautiful weather as I could be on Hawk watch.

They were having a blast. It was great once again to hear their little voices while I was working. They were primarily spending their time around this bush. It was where they would rest in between forays out into the yard. Good cover from any air based attacks.
View attachment 2878784

All was good, no hawks, sunshine, warmth, it was a great afternoon. Until something startled them and they ran in a panic. It could have been a squirrel or "Sansa" as the bigs had grazed their way over to where they were. Considering the panic, I am guessing Sansa or Sydney went after them.

Regardless the reason, unsurprising my little spaz Sylvie ran in a panic, right into the pool. I jumped up and started over. Legertha was so upset by Sylvie's plight that running over to her she also fell in.

Somehow I had grabbed my camera and snapped a photo. I actually don't remember doing it. Pardon the poor quality.
View attachment 2878607

I got to Legertha first, scooped her out, and then scooped Sylvie out. They were quite wet.

View attachment 2878608

The pool water is very cold. Titanic-like. They needed dried and warmed up. I am so happy that I trained them to ride my arm during transport. I placed them on my arm and we went into the house to get a towel and warm up.

As I walked by I noticed I had flipped my chair in my haste to get to them.

View attachment 2878609

Of course entering the house drew the attention of both cats. We could not stay inside as I could not get rid of the cats and dry the littles. So we went back outside.

At first I thought I had gotten to them before they got too cold but the started shivering.in my arms. Here they are in the towel being dried and warmed by my body heat.
View attachment 2878610
View attachment 2878611

It took quite a while but eventually Legertha stopped shivering and then untucked herself and started grooming. On my arm.

Sylvie took a disturbingly long time to warm up. I was never as concerned as I was with Ned. But she was shivering and closing her eyes. I kept rubbing her to wake her up. Eventually she improved, untucked herself and promptly went to my shoulder to groom. Her favorite spot. She yelled at Legertha who was on my arm and Legertha went to join her.

Every chicken that falls in the pool and I warm up has to leave a deposit on me and Legertha was more than pleased to do so.

View attachment 2878612
View attachment 2878613
View attachment 2878615View attachment 2878617View attachment 2878618

Once they were no longer shivering and had groomed for a while I wanted to take them back over to the magnolia tree. If you have never tried to pluck a pullet from your shoulder, it is very hard and Sylvie gets spastic if you try. So I decided to try and walk them over on my shoulder. Here's the video.

They did eventually get down. They scratched around for a while and then headed into the coop where the heater was switched on to max.

Everyone survived and were chipper and running around this morning. Yes I know @Shadrach I should fill the darn pool in.
Oh my, scary but it turned out OK. For the future, could you get a blow dryer for them and bring it out to the deck, you seem to have electric out there? Fast drying & warming.

Near Tragedy 😨

It happens at some point with every new arrival at Fluffy Butt Acres. Let me take you through it.

Yesterday was a spectacular late October day. Sun, Blue Sky, and thankfully warm 76°F (24°C). I had no meetings after lunch time so I set myself up on the deck and released the littles to enjoy the beautiful weather as I could be on Hawk watch.

They were having a blast. It was great once again to hear their little voices while I was working. They were primarily spending their time around this bush. It was where they would rest in between forays out into the yard. Good cover from any air based attacks.
View attachment 2878784

All was good, no hawks, sunshine, warmth, it was a great afternoon. Until something startled them and they ran in a panic. It could have been a squirrel or "Sansa" as the bigs had grazed their way over to where they were. Considering the panic, I am guessing Sansa or Sydney went after them.

Regardless the reason, unsurprising my little spaz Sylvie ran in a panic, right into the pool. I jumped up and started over. Legertha was so upset by Sylvie's plight that running over to her she also fell in.

Somehow I had grabbed my camera and snapped a photo. I actually don't remember doing it. Pardon the poor quality.
View attachment 2878607

I got to Legertha first, scooped her out, and then scooped Sylvie out. They were quite wet.

View attachment 2878608

The pool water is very cold. Titanic-like. They needed dried and warmed up. I am so happy that I trained them to ride my arm during transport. I placed them on my arm and we went into the house to get a towel and warm up.

As I walked by I noticed I had flipped my chair in my haste to get to them.

View attachment 2878609

Of course entering the house drew the attention of both cats. We could not stay inside as I could not get rid of the cats and dry the littles. So we went back outside.

At first I thought I had gotten to them before they got too cold but the started shivering.in my arms. Here they are in the towel being dried and warmed by my body heat.
View attachment 2878610
View attachment 2878611

It took quite a while but eventually Legertha stopped shivering and then untucked herself and started grooming. On my arm.

Sylvie took a disturbingly long time to warm up. I was never as concerned as I was with Ned. But she was shivering and closing her eyes. I kept rubbing her to wake her up. Eventually she improved, untucked herself and promptly went to my shoulder to groom. Her favorite spot. She yelled at Legertha who was on my arm and Legertha went to join her.

Every chicken that falls in the pool and I warm up has to leave a deposit on me and Legertha was more than pleased to do so.

View attachment 2878612
View attachment 2878613
View attachment 2878615View attachment 2878617View attachment 2878618

Once they were no longer shivering and had groomed for a while I wanted to take them back over to the magnolia tree. If you have never tried to pluck a pullet from your shoulder, it is very hard and Sylvie gets spastic if you try. So I decided to try and walk them over on my shoulder. Here's the video.

They did eventually get down. They scratched around for a while and then headed into the coop where the heater was switched on to max.

Everyone survived and were chipper and running around this morning. Yes I know @Shadrach I should fill the darn pool in.
So glad they’re ok! :hugs My son thought they looked like ducks!

Hazel too, she is not done with how she's feeling. She is hesitant but she is eating a little of everything, not as much each time as before when I've seen her. Maybe she's eating in small bits in more frequent visits. It's reassuring, but it seems quite a long process for her.
I'm really glad to hear it. Sansa's is the longest molt I have ever seen. I really want it to wrap up. I feel so bad for her.

Oh good grief. Both of them?! You must be the only person who needs to have a hair dryer stored in your pool equipment shed. Seriously, you should. You could have dried them while on your shoulder.
SHRA!
RIP Queenie. When she first came here
Lil' Queenie_20201219_084947098.jpg

My uncle's one is flexible and he turns a handle to roll it up onto it's spindle. Does that make sense? I'm very unfamiliar with the pool cover terminology.

He keeps talking about making a nice wooden box to cover the pool cover spindle.
I had one similar to that. It would not work like I need and I had algae all the time because of it. In fact the one I had would let them fall in and then cover their heads. It would make it more likely they would die.

I would imagine even a canvas pool cover would keep chickens safe. And if it can be rolled and unrolled easily Bob wouldn't have to put the seasonal pool cover on any more.

Here's an interesting one with thermal properties. I imagine the spindle could be positioned at the end of the pool so it's not a hindrance people enjoying the pool.

View attachment 2879113
That's the one I had. Doesn't work at all.

A canvas one would be like the winter cover. It would promote algae growth and collect rain water. If I were to do anything it would need to be hard and clear.

Back
Top Bottom