Minnie is devoting herself to cabbage.
View attachment 2972020

I went out to where all the scrap stuff is stored to find something to make a little roost for Dotty for when I bring her in to the garage.
I had to go across the snow covered field. Lots of prints. More raccoon than fox or coyote. I also got to get close up and personal with the red tailed hawk. I think I can reliably identify it now. Snowy white underneath and muscular. But smaller than the turkey vultures.
You have the identification correct.

Not massively surprising I suppose - also doesn't look massively vicious (I could only view the first video for some reason).
A couple of thoughts from me (hope you don't mind). I would put in an extra food and extra water station in the Polish side of the house - that way they. don't have to confront each other to eat/drink.
How about giving Betty some alone time in the Polish side of the house? I am sure Mrs BY Bob could be persuaded to entertain Phyllis in the house for an hour or so - my thinking is to let Betty get to know the place - she is not only facing an unfriendly room-mate but she also doesn't yet know here way around. If she had the run of the place for a while she might gain confidence.
Add some more junk into their home so there are places to dodge around - even a cardboard box or something might do.
Good luck Betty!

:fl
There is food and water I. Both the big run and coop. They have split up with Phyllis taking the run and Betty the coop for now.

They will need to coexist today. Mrs BY Bob is at work.

Oh my goodness - can she see out with all that hairdo going on?
I wonder if as a short term measure it would be a good idea to give her a trim - again just so she can get to know her new home and not be so surprised at the attacks.
Whose feathers are those all over the ground? Is someone molting? Please tell me Phyllis didn't pull all those out of Betty?!
Her field of vision is actually pretty good. We checked her last night and would have trimmed before we put her in with Phyllis.

Those feathers all over are from Phyllis' mini molt back in December. I did not get them all when last I cleaned out the coop. I've not seen a feather extracted from Betty yet.

A Fluffy Butt Acres Welcome

Well it seems Phyllis has learned from Aurora. 😔

This morning before daylight Betty got some welcome pecks on the roost.

Then Phyllis gave her the true FBA welcome. Betty went to eat and Phyllis was not having that.

There has been a lot of chasing around the big run. Right now Betty is in the coop and Phyllis is in the run.

I am observing but I do have to work today. I hope they can settle in over time without anyone getting hurt.
Ah chicken politics, same here with my 4, 15 week old chicklets.

It's always tense those first few times together, but they will figure it out. Is this wee one laying eggs yet? I found that the older hens were more tolerant to my pullets once they were laying eggs.

Keep us updated - I know the 'trying to work from home thing'... Try working when your office is across the alleyway from the hen house!! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom