She is a very striking looking lady, but she doesn't carry herself like Phyllis does when she scratches in the straw. Which is interesting because I saw some other ways she moved that were more Phyllis-like than say, Hattie-like on one of your earlier videos.
This is quite perceptive of you. I'm learning her way of doing things. I would imagine that some of those behaviors may be learned from the other chickens she lived with prior to coming here, others may be because of her feathers etc. I wonder if she will change at all after joining this tribe? At least I know have video to look back to at some point.

That is what I have thought for a few weeks - but she spent ages today preening with Diana on the main roost. Then they had a bit of a nap up there. So she really does seem comfortable there.
Then I thought it was cold. Shad had suggested maybe the enclosed space of the nest box is warmer and it probably is. It is much less cold tonight - though still well below freezing. Maybe I should let her stay in nest boxes until it warms up above freezing. The only issue with the 'too cold' theory is that she is gloriously fully feathered and she is first outside on the coldest of mornings and she puffs herself up the size of a beach ball.
It is all a mystery - but of course I feel bad that I forced her into the 'second best' nest box for tonight.
RC, You are so cruel, taking away her nesting box. How bout I come over and remove your bed from the house, then you would know how it feels! Poor mistreated hen, she deserves , better treatment than that! (Yes, I'm kidding) I thought that I worry so much about my birds... You obviously do too! :lau:hugs

My best laid plans .. .. ..
I decided today it was time Maggie stopped sleeping in the nest box and went back to roost. My reason is she is clearly doing fine balance-wise and I spotted a tiny bit of poopy feathers at her rear end which I think may be from sleeping sitting in the box rather than on a roost.
So I blocked off her entrance to the upper floor nest box she uses.
All started well, she was hanging out on the main roost with Diana and not even interested in going to the nest boxes.
Until all of a sudden she gets down and tries to go into her box.
When she couldn't get in she didn't turn around and go back to the roost, instead she went to the lower level boxes. So strange that she no longer wants to roost.
:idunno
I bet the nest box is warmer with the straw and closed sides. Last night Hattie started out on the roost alone. As the temperature dropped she moved to a nest box. I really think they are warmer.

I need advice from all you chicken-people.
This is the back of Diana’s head. It has been like this for weeks now. The rest of her seems to be fully feathered so I am not so worried about her in the cold - but my guess is she cannot reach to preen the back of her head.
Will the casings fall off on their own? Should I help?
Maggie had the same thing but her feathers emerged just fine.

View attachment 2971122View attachment 2971123
The Buckeyes get the feather covers off there when they dustbathe. They lie on their side and twist their head way back, looking up and behind them, and that gets the back of the head into the dirt. Peanut has had no problem, everything looks good back there now.

Thank you for the videos! I'm way behind again, but trying to do a little current and then catch up. Two things:

First video, notice Betty's feet? She's got her toes well-positioned for bracing, one to back pressure and one to front, good for hanging on to the roost if/when Phyllis tries to peck or push her off. She's anticipating another peck or push and isn't throwing in the towel. Go, Betty!

Second video, the crouch/sitting position Phyllis gets in is interesting. Is that a good attack position, like it gives her more leaping ability, to spring at someone? The series doesn't look too bad. There's not a lot of maneuvering room in the Cluckle Hut, but Phyllis doesn't keep pressing her attacks, it is short, so maybe she's making a statement and isn't out for blood. But it's likely on going, as you said.

You mentioned there are two feeders and waterers. Is one set in the Hut and the other in the run? The Hut has been Phyllis' best safest space, her final retreat area, so to speak. So I can better understand her driving Betty off that feeder than the run one. I look forward to further reports!
You notice such great nuances such as the feet positioning. I think this is knowledge Betty has probably gained by being in another tribe. Probably hard earned experience. It might have been a better choice all along to add an older hen. We shall see as it plays out.

Attachments

• Oreo Penguin 2.JPG
    Oreo Penguin 2.JPG
    421 KB · Views: 1
  • Oreo Penguin.JPG
    Oreo Penguin.JPG
    382.6 KB · Views: 1
The Buckeyes get the feather covers off there when they dustbathe. They lie on their side and twist their head way back, looking up and behind them, and that gets the back of the head into the dirt. Peanut has had no problem, everything looks good back there now.
Good to hear that Peanut is coming through her molt well.

Back
Top Bottom