That is what I have thought for a few weeks - but she spent ages today preening with Diana on the main roost. Then they had a bit of a nap up there. So she really does seem comfortable there.
Then I thought it was cold. Shad had suggested maybe the enclosed space of the nest box is warmer and it probably is. It is much less cold tonight - though still well below freezing. Maybe I should let her stay in nest boxes until it warms up above freezing. The only issue with the 'too cold' theory is that she is gloriously fully feathered and she is first outside on the coldest of mornings and she puffs herself up the size of a beach ball.
It is all a mystery - but of course I feel bad that I forced her into the 'second best' nest box for tonight.
Do you think that she is warmer in the nest box? I think my two silkie hens are warmer ...

She is quite the charming lady, Chiguita is!🥰 Hope some of her eggs hatch so you cn have another Buff girl. I'm sure Branch would love to add another girl to his harem, too!!

Or a silver laced polish?:lau
I do not want to get my hopes up, or "count my chickens before they hatch," but hopefully that is the plan. Now here is the comical part of the whole incubation situation. I mentioned yesterday I was getting side eye and dirty looks when I was setting up the incubator. This morning while me and mom are having coffee our conversation went like this...
Mom: So did you load up the incubator?
Me: Nope, just put in the 5 silkie eggs.
Mom: hmm...so if they hatch, they will be her color or white?
Me: Yes, why?
Mom: Well, it would not hurt to have another hen her color we need 2 chicks to hatch.
Me: Really, well you know I may be wasting my time trying to hatch these eggs.
Mom: Actually, with your luck on hatching off boys we need all 5 eggs to hatch.

Thanks for the vote of confidence mother :smack

Shenandoah is acting weird today. She’s picking up leaves and sticks, trying to throw them on her back? :old:idunno
Oh dear, that's how it starts.... Then before you know it, they are all broody, snarling like something from The Exorcist if you go near them, hogging the favourite nest box... And you wonder what ever happened to you friendly loving little feathered friends!!

A Step Backwards

I did not do Betty any favors making Phyllis roost next to her last night in the garage. When I moved them back to the coop and run, Phyllis went crazy and attacked and chased Betty all around the coop and run. Phyllis was not having her anywhere near her today. Betty has found ways to avoid her including using Maleficent's roost in the run.

While a little discouraging, Betty is one tough character when she wants to be. Phyllis was pretty aggressive at roosting time tonight but here is the final result.

The Cluckle Hut_20220127_174425.jpg

Betty continues to get on the roost and shuffle down towards Phyllis. Well tonight Phyllis shuffled towards her but the end result was the same.

I took the opportunity while I was handling them today to weigh everyone.

Observations:
  • Phyllis has gained weight since I weighed her in December. Almost 1/2 a pound! In December she was 2.50 lbs, 1.136 kg. Now she is 2.93 lbs, 1.33 kg. She is still not back to 3 lbs. She was over 3lbs when she went broody.
  • Betty weighs more than Phyllis. This makes sense because she feels bigger when you hold her. Betty is 3.17 lbs, 1.44 kg.
@Ribh @micstrachan @MaryJanet @ChicoryBlue @Aussie-Chookmum @LozzyR

Back
Top Bottom