So, hubby was gone for the weekend...came home a bit ago, exhausted. Laid down on top of bed petting dog. I got a chicken towel and the baby goslings.......'honey, snuggle with these guys, too'. Not right now (as he is half sleeping, scratching behind the dog's ears)

Well, I have a confession to make...blah, blah, blah...
He frowns....
I say, well, that is why I want you to bond with them...so they are good to you AND protect the chickens from hawks, too!

He mumbles something under his breath..

Two minutes later, he is gently caressing the gosling's neck, who promptly falls asleep against his finger. Slight grin on his face.
:wee:wee:wee

I did have to promise that if they got aggressive, they would become someones goose dinner......but that was pretty much a given in my mind anyways. Which is why I am trying extra hard to get them to bond to him...to insure that they don't become aggressive to him. (well, in as much as you can with animals, anyways!)View attachment 3109389View attachment 3109392View attachment 3109394
Good work ;):hugs

I enjoy hearing your stories about your gals.

Today I was thinking about how one of my hens can be so friendly and another wild as the wind. Henny Penny, Curly and Fluffy were raised together here and each handled a lot, yet Henny is wild! But Curly and Fluffy are totally different.

And then there is Buttercup and her grey sisters - buttercup is very friendly, where as the grey gals are less so; Rose and Dorothy same situation, but Rose is not so friendly and Dorothy just a ham 😊.

I think it's their temperament, if you have raised since young, and how 'herd bound' they are... All the ones I find who are friendly are less herd bound and not afraid to go off on their own and hang with a human🤗

Do you find this with the gals you had who were super friendly?
I have. The friendly ones do tend to go off on their own frequently. Now I will say that Betty goes off on her own frequently but not to see me.

The thing about Betty is she was full grown when she came here. The others who are tamed, will not let her come and spend time with me. If I'm out there they all cluster around and if I would try to tame Betty with some food, they would all push her out of the way. It is essentially impossible to sneak for past Aurora and now that she is in charge, the tribe comes with her.

In Betty's defense, she knows her name. She comes when called just like Phyllis. So if she is off on her own, I can call her to me. I just don't know if we will ever have the opportunity to develop a relationship where she is comfortable eating out of my hand like everyone else.

I have. The friendly ones do tend to go off on their own frequently. Now I will say that Betty goes off on her own frequently but not to see me.

The thing about Betty is she was full grown when she came here. The others who are tamed, will not let her come and spend time with me. If I'm out there they all cluster around and if I would try to tame Betty with some food, they would all push her out of the way. It is essentially impossible to sneak for past Aurora and now that she is in charge, the tribe comes with her.

In Betty's defense, she knows her name. She comes when called just like Phyllis. So if she is off on her own, I can call her to me. I just don't know if we will ever have the opportunity to develop a relationship where she is comfortable eating out of my hand like everyone else.
I can barely get Agatha's name out of my mouth and she's there at my feet

I'm blessed my friend has advised me on an aircon that's been sold for years. It has no mode cons like WiFi. I put it on for a few hours last night and I think this helped my old boys breathing as well as the old remedies I'm using.

20220517_125437.jpg

Back
Top Bottom