I’m OK, Alex. My COVID turned into a sinus infection and I started on antibiotics yesterday. My daughter is a senior in high school and is having a really tough time right now… I’m trying to be there for her. Just lots going on here. But for the most part things are OK.
:hugs :hugs:hugs:hugs

“Michelle, I just want you to be well !”
FAF1AD27-191C-4D26-A875-6D455C82B3DD.jpeg

@Kris5902 I think I'm reaching the limits of my English which does not include technical bee terminology 😁 but I'll try to answer. I hope google translate allows us both to understand each other !
First I will say that my partner is the bee keeper and the knowledgeable one of us, I only assist him. If it can help convince your aunt, I have strong reactions to bee stings : we kept that under control for years with an antibiotic onguent ( for which I need a prescription) and antihistamine medication. We always have an adrenaline shot available just in case. But a few years ago we learned that high heat applied for 10 minutes just after a sting does miracle ( blow-dryer or cigarette) and this has been a life changer for me.

Now to your questions. What happened with this particular hive we were told by a professional bee keeper is supposedly not possible, so my story should be taken with caution. We had a first swarm leave the hive at the beginning of may which we caught. Then maybe ten days later I found a second swarm from that hive and we caught it again. We thought it was a secondary swarm except that a few days later my partner opened the initial hive and it was empty. What we thought was the secondary swarm, was actually the whole hive gone. It had left behind frames full of brood and some honey and yes there were queen cups.
So we didn't leave the empty hive there because it would have been plundered very fast by other hives. We took both swarms at a friend's place where we also keep bees, 20 km away.

We torch them because of wax moth ? Or honeycomb moth, not sure what the term is ! We have varroa but I don't think torching makes any difference as it lives on the bees.

For the frames what we like to do is keep frames that have been already built by bees before, either in colonies we have lost, or in upper chambers (? Not sure google translate is correct there). We will put three of those and the rest will be empty frames. We don't like artificial starters made from wax that we don't know the ingredients of.
My partner has been keeping bees for 8 years now and has been making a lot of mistakes, we still make some regularly. It's not easy keeping bees where we live, old people who have done it for years say it was a lot easier before.

Apologies for any strange terms and for having being so long ☺️.
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup

I love you for saying that but I am feeling particularly desperate about them at the moment.
Minnie's fecal tests all came back negative for anything nasty so we have no idea what is wrong with her but she is in bad shape. She is perky in the morning and usually has a small nibble of something but then she pretty much collapses for the afternoon. She had a good drink tonight as I put her in the hospital ward for the night but her crop is empty of food and even cabbage and shrimp didn't tempt her.
Bernadette's left leg has got back to normal and now her right is giving out. It is like she only has enough 'whatever' to support developing one leg at a time! I am really, really, hoping it is just a growing thing and once she stops growing she will stabilize. All I can do is keep pushing vitamin B2 and hope for the best.
Maggie and Dotty both have diarrhea and have had for weeks and weeks now - though neither seem to be having any ill effects from it and are hale and hearty.
Diana is also hale and hearty but of course only ever lays eggs without shells so that isn't great.
So somehow everyone is a worry except for Lulu and Bella who I hope are just healthy young ladies. :fl
Sorry, just feeling a bit down about it all right now.
We have all been there. Some of us recently. Chickens can be challenging at times but it is not always so. You will weather this storm along with your ladies. You just have a lot going on right now. Give yourself a little grace.

You are doing everything that can be done for them. They have a great home, good food, safe from predators, and a loving servant in you. It's a great life for all of them. Better than most chickens have.

You are doing all you can for them. You can't give any more than you already are. None of this is your fault. This is life. :hugs :hugs :hugs

I love you for saying that but I am feeling particularly desperate about them at the moment.
Minnie's fecal tests all came back negative for anything nasty so we have no idea what is wrong with her but she is in bad shape. She is perky in the morning and usually has a small nibble of something but then she pretty much collapses for the afternoon. She had a good drink tonight as I put her in the hospital ward for the night but her crop is empty of food and even cabbage and shrimp didn't tempt her.
Bernadette's left leg has got back to normal and now her right is giving out. It is like she only has enough 'whatever' to support developing one leg at a time! I am really, really, hoping it is just a growing thing and once she stops growing she will stabilize. All I can do is keep pushing vitamin B2 and hope for the best.
Maggie and Dotty both have diarrhea and have had for weeks and weeks now - though neither seem to be having any ill effects from it and are hale and hearty.
Diana is also hale and hearty but of course only ever lays eggs without shells so that isn't great.
So somehow everyone is a worry except for Lulu and Bella who I hope are just healthy young ladies. :fl
Sorry, just feeling a bit down about it all right now.
I’m so sorry, RC. I fear Minnie desperately needs fluids. Are you pulling her aside for private feedings? Have you tried baby bird formula? She really needs to be hydrated properly before she can digest her food very well. At this point, if she isn’t drinking and you don’t want to try tubing fluids, I’d probably offer her a ride egg (privately) and see what she thinks. Or maybe even ever so slightly dilute it with a little clear Pedialyte?

So the fecal test also looked for bacteria and came back 'normal for a chicken' so we have no evidence of infection in the gut at least.
I thought the head shaking might be an ear infection but I don't see any sign of that.
So yes, I could throw antibiotics at her (and I have some one hand) but they can make you pretty poorly in their own right so I am reluctant without something a bit more indicative of an infection.
Are they planning to do blood work? Lilly's colitis was identified as a low grade infection by blood work, not culture. The culture was normal.

The two courses of antibiotics really improved her life. I can send you the tests that they ran which identified the infection.

Or you may just want to treat with an antibiotic to help rule out any infection.

Back
Top Bottom