I have a serious question for those of you who have multiple boys and let the hens hatch chicks. Do you think the rooster know which chicks are their own offspring? For that matter I wonder if hens know as well if another hen hatches one of her eggs. I started pondering this when Baby was raising her adopted babies. Butter took serious interest in one of the white chicks. At times I felt she was threatening to steal it. I moved Bunny and her 2 chicks out to the coop this afternoon. Branch who has been good with the chicks already this season is obsessed with Twig. He is ignoring the other chick and is constantly tid bitting and trying to feed it outside the pen. I'm going to keep Bunny and the babies separate for a few days. I'm really curious to see how Branch behaves once I let them outside, but I swear he knows that Twig is his baby.
I lovely notion 🤗

Sometimes I think Penelope knows Dorothy is her egg daughter...

For this group of hvac units there's an incoming power problem causing problems with the drive units for the fans. Fortunately I forced the Bigass(fan company) ceiling fans to max speed and that makes it almost tolerable.
You definitely need to go to compressed hours with summer coming on....

How is the chick?

I have a serious question for those of you who have multiple boys and let the hens hatch chicks. Do you think the rooster know which chicks are their own offspring? For that matter I wonder if hens know as well if another hen hatches one of her eggs. I started pondering this when Baby was raising her adopted babies. Butter took serious interest in one of the white chicks. At times I felt she was threatening to steal it. I moved Bunny and her 2 chicks out to the coop this afternoon. Branch who has been good with the chicks already this season is obsessed with Twig. He is ignoring the other chick and is constantly tid bitting and trying to feed it outside the pen. I'm going to keep Bunny and the babies separate for a few days. I'm really curious to see how Branch behaves once I let them outside, but I swear he knows that Twig is his baby.
Branch is just trying to pay child support! :gig

I would put a bucket under a branch give it a shake and they would fall into the bucket - slam the lid on fast tho!
Here's how I catch Japanese Beetles. Get a wide mouthed container, put about an inch of water in it. Hold it under whatever the JB is on, and tap the leaf/stem/flower/whatever.

JB's natural defense is to let go and fall. Into the water they go. If they look like they might spread their wings and get liftoff, I just shake the container a bit. Usually the only time they can take flight is if there are so many that they are standing on a pile of bugs.

I put the lid on while I walk from spot to spot. When I give them to the girls, I dump them in a shallow pan that has about an inch of water in it, so the bugs don't fly off. I want those :duc bugs to die! I use a white enameled pan so that the bugs contrast well, and call, "Bug snack! Bug snack!"

Believe me, the chickens know what that means!

Back
Top Bottom