Hurump, young man. I didn't say they were fake.

I said they were 'production'. Indiscriminate breeding by hatcheries doesn't make her any less a hen!:tongue
I will tell her she is still a hen. I do think she is beautiful. I know I've said it before but everyone who comes here comments on how pretty she is. I believe she is what everyone expects to see when they think "chicken".

20220625_142812.jpg

Just want to wish all y’all American friends a happy Fourth of July! May the fireworks all be far enough away from your fur and feather babies for a peaceful night for them, and all your events go smoothly. Take pride in your country and what makes it great, despite the challenges.
Thanks Kris. Happy belated Canada Day to you as well. 🇨🇦

Phyllis:
Hmmm, 🤔where should I roost tonight? (looking all over - at all of her options)

I think I'll roost down there...(as she heads to the far end of the long roost)

Should I face this way..... (as she faces towards the camera)

Or should I face that way...(as she turns around)

Hmm, maybe the other way ????...(as she half turns back..)

No, No, that way was better..... ( as she resumes her 'back towards the camera position and settles down for the night)

Oh, no, here comes the big girl.....(Watching Hattie hop onto the big roost and start walking towards her)

Maybe if I ignore her and pretend to preen, she'll leave me alone (as she immediately starts preening vigorously)

Ahh, yes! it wor... darn, here she comes again! (as Phyllis turns a bit so she is facing away from Hattie)

Geez, what's a girl gotta do to have some peace so she can get her beauty rest! 🙄
I love this, very funny. :gig:lau:gig:lau

I always thought of it more as Phyllis walking the catwalk. "Phyllis is wearing the very latest in chicken fashion.........."

She reminds me of my Dorothy 🤗
I was just thinking the same!
They do look very similar and they have that incredible glossy blue-green reflection on their black feathers.
They are both very beautiful!

How is Bella this morning ? You're taking her to the vet today am I right ?

I sure hope my little black chick is a girl, I would love to keep it and have a black chicken! To be fair it doesn't look regal at all like your girls, more like a ragged baby blackbird🤣.
IMG_20220705_081908.jpg

Okay, I really have to get to bed...but, since it is technically Tuesday...a 'two-fer from this evening:
View attachment 3174688
View attachment 3174694
What, Mom, why would we need to use the other nest box?? We all fit...Sis, 'n me, and the 9 kids, no problem. Just nobody better have to get up to pee in the night, is all!

🙄 Really, why would they all cram into one nest box when they have 2???🙄 :confused:

They do this periodically, but I have no idea why. They really are 'co-broodies'. The minute one of the two goes broody, the other one does within 24 hours. They always pick nest boxes side by side. (I then move them to this broody hut.) Though they sit on their own nest while incubating, they often either use the same next box, or snuggle together in the corner of the tractor with all the babies once hatched, and the 'kids' seem to run to either mom if they need a 'warm-up'. The only times this year that I have seen them use separate boxes was the really really hot day. It is mind boggling how they cram in the one box, but it is also kinda sweet, too!
That is very sweet. I love to see chickens with that kind of a friendship bond. 💕

What is she the sentinel?

She is making a statement I guess!
It is all about pecking order and mostly because she continues to intimidate Hattie so she can hold onto the spot. She is telling Hattie that she can roost when Aurora says she can roost and after Aurora has chosen her spot. Aurora keeps a sharp eye on Hattie and will come try and take any food Hattie finds so she can remind Hattie that Aurora is number 1 and not her.

Betty gets it just because she is the bottom of the order and likes to stay out late.

Back
Top Bottom