A few more hellish days then it looks like some relief is coming our way.

View attachment 3223980
Oh wow that grim 😟 been cool here since last weeks couple hot days. I sure hope your weather cools and that you get some much needed rain.

Getting into mid August so our hot days are numbered. Last night I was tempted to leave Marty roosting in the window but she is still getting her feathers in and it now darn chilly at night. I cannot express how happy I am everone is molting now rather than doing so In October.

I got the results of Minnie's swab back and she was negative for Marek's and for ILT (the virus Bella had).
Frankly both results surprise me for various reasons.
Knowing would of course not bring the lovely Minnie back to me, but it would feel good to know.
I guess the negative for Marek's is a good thing for the flock as a whole although I did once do an environmental test on the Chicken Palace which detected Marek's so I think I need to continue to assume I have a Marek's positive flock.
So good and not so good news… it’s hard not having a definitive answer but I know one thing for sure - you have done a splendid job caring for all of them.

I am wondering how the problem can be corrected, I have a hard time understanding why they are all ganging up on her, does she have something wrong I wonder??
I am as confused as you are. All we know is that there was a 180 degree shift starting yesterday. Maybe they never liked her and some triggering event happened yesterday morning.

The only thing I can think of is that she is molting, quite heavy. But Light has a bare back and she's not bothered.

I am as confused as you are. All we know is that there was a 180 degree shift starting yesterday. Maybe they never liked her and some triggering event happened yesterday morning.

The only thing I can think of is that she is molting, quite heavy. But Light has a bare back and she's not bothered.
Hav you put her in with them today?

I got the results of Minnie's swab back and she was negative for Marek's and for ILT (the virus Bella had).
Frankly both results surprise me for various reasons.
Knowing would of course not bring the lovely Minnie back to me, but it would feel good to know.
I guess the negative for Marek's is a good thing for the flock as a whole although I did once do an environmental test on the Chicken Palace which detected Marek's so I think I need to continue to assume I have a Marek's positive flock.
Would you happen to know how accurate the PCR is ?
I didn't know there was such a thing as an environmental test for Marek. How does it work ?
I don't know what to think, because loosing three so close would make one think there was a common cause. Then again terrible coincidences happen😔.

Just checked the barn cams and seems everyone is hanging out at the far end of the barn today

Another 20min I am outta here and home to my chickies and ponies 😊

Screenshot_20220815-153517.jpeg

I think this is the explanation. Our last hen in the pecking order was badly bullied when she molted and adopted herself a very strange behaviour, we thought she was sick. She isolated herself completely. Things went back to normal after two months. I didn't see this with none of my other molting hens.

Hav you put her in with them today?
No not at all. She is in a smaller run, which is right next to the big run. For a few minutes when the bullies were out and looking at the small run (they cannot get in), Inky got so scared and she went into the pet carrier we put there for her egg laying.

I think this is the explanation. Our last hen in the pecking order was badly bullied when she molted and adopted herself a very strange behaviour, we thought she was sick. She isolated herself completely. Things went back to normal after two months. I didn't see this with none of my other molting hens.
Thanks. This sounds encouraging. We may try to reintroduce her after she grew her beautiful feather back. If that fails, we will rehome her.

Back
Top Bottom