Although it is a cause of worry, it's not necessarily a short term one. It could be an "accident" and never happen again, or only happen again in a long time.
Many high production hens have difficulty laying but they can live with it for some time and I think it can vary a lot.
In my flock of six ex-batts, Vanille died of being egg bound after having lived all her life with those difficulties. She usually passed two eggs together, three in a row happened twice I believe. It took more than two years of laying before she died, and in all that time I think she laid "normally" no more than 20 times.
Blanche, an other of my hens, had a difficult period last year laying either two in a row or soft shelled every evening.It lasted for three months I think. Now she's doing okay although she still lays soft shell every now and then. Like Light, she sometimes screams when she lays and there's no doubt that it's from pain. It used to make me feel terrible but then she obviously is so much better once it's done and she just goes back to her crazy little self.
On the other hand Caramel had never shown any sign of having difficulty laying before she got seriously ill in May. I was also shocked, like you, that she was still laying then, even though she had eaten nothing at all for a whole week. Then she stopped laying and never laid again, even when she got better. And two months and a half later she died of egg yolk peritonitis, having too many shell-less eggs stuck in her.

So I'm not sure this sounds conforting but what I mean to say is that even though you will often read that once a hen has reproductive disorders she will die from it, it's more nuanced. I do hope and believe Light will recover fully, but I also want to say in case she doesn't that we never regretted keeping Vanille with us because in spite of her being in pain much of her time laying, she had a great fighting spirit and enjoyed every moment she was pain free.

Finally I think that with your flock you can unfortunately expect that at least one will eventually die from reproductive disorder- but then, every chicken has to die of something one day. I think with high production breeds it's best to set one's intention on giving them the best life rather than the longest, and hope that the best lasts 💚.
Well put, quality rather than quantity. A life well lived.

Although it is a cause of worry, it's not necessarily a short term one. It could be an "accident" and never happen again, or only happen again in a long time.
Many high production hens have difficulty laying but they can live with it for some time and I think it can vary a lot.
In my flock of six ex-batts, Vanille died of being egg bound after having lived all her life with those difficulties. She usually passed two eggs together, three in a row happened twice I believe. It took more than two years of laying before she died, and in all that time I think she laid "normally" no more than 20 times.
Blanche, an other of my hens, had a difficult period last year laying either two in a row or soft shelled every evening.It lasted for three months I think. Now she's doing okay although she still lays soft shell every now and then. Like Light, she sometimes screams when she lays and there's no doubt that it's from pain. It used to make me feel terrible but then she obviously is so much better once it's done and she just goes back to her crazy little self.
On the other hand Caramel had never shown any sign of having difficulty laying before she got seriously ill in May. I was also shocked, like you, that she was still laying then, even though she had eaten nothing at all for a whole week. Then she stopped laying and never laid again, even when she got better. And two months and a half later she died of egg yolk peritonitis, having too many shell-less eggs stuck in her.

So I'm not sure this sounds conforting but what I mean to say is that even though you will often read that once a hen has reproductive disorders she will die from it, it's more nuanced. I do hope and believe Light will recover fully, but I also want to say in case she doesn't that we never regretted keeping Vanille with us because in spite of her being in pain much of her time laying, she had a great fighting spirit and enjoyed every moment she was pain free.

Finally I think that with your flock you can unfortunately expect that at least one will eventually die from reproductive disorder- but then, every chicken has to die of something one day. I think with high production breeds it's best to set one's intention on giving them the best life rather than the longest, and hope that the best lasts 💚.
:goodpost:

:hugs
Amber was a bantam and not a battery hen she would lay strangely too sometimes up to 3 eggs. :(

I'm hoping Tina is okay she sometimes doesn't lay, I hope that's a good sign. Agatha was much older when she left the cage, Tina still isn't as big as Agatha was even now which has given me a little hope she has some time left yet
Older hens lay fewer eggs. That's a good thing if you are looking for longevity. Many things can go wrong with egg laying.

Wow.

Regarding Inky (my outcast chicken), the girls acted like she is a friend again and Inky wasn't scared of them either... 😐😶🙃 I am speechless with my chickens.

I am going to apply some no pecking/picking spray on Inky and see how it goes at free range this afternoon as a first step.
I am so hopeful for you. 🤞🤞

Is that a deflated ball? He sure loooks pleased!

How are you, cat, dog and the chooks handling the heat? You doing ok?
Yes we are all well, the heat is going down. Thank you for asking. The heat remains in the home but hopefully that will go soon

I hope all is well with you? I can see the flock are doing well 👌 how are the horses .

Wow.

Regarding Inky (my outcast chicken), the girls acted like she is a friend again and Inky wasn't scared of them either... 😐😶🙃 I am speechless with my chickens.

I am going to apply some no pecking/picking spray on Inky and see how it goes at free range this afternoon as a first step.
Ground that bully

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom