30 years ago, had a visitor comment on all the modern amenities....all the electric cars.....looking around town....
HAHAHAHAHA! THAT'S SO FUNNY!!

Of course I was glancing through these and had to re-read this a couple times to realize you were talking about the vehicles being plugged in during cold weather hahahahaha!

But if you aren't from a cold climate you wouldn't know!

:lau

Butter is gearing up for her winter egg laying break. I've gotten 2 eggs from her this week. She has laid consistently since mid February. I will miss her jumbo sized eggs but it is all for the best for my girly.
Yep - mum says she is getting one egg a day now.... I bet they are all hiding them away on her hahahaha! I will have to do a good look over in the barn when I get home! There is that big round bale with all that loose hay piled up that they can hide eggs in!

Dear Aurora,
I am a young roo about 14 weeks old. My name is Zeus and I am an Ancona chicken black with white tips. This morning I think I had a dream I was crowing or maybe it was Hades. He is so big and acts like the boss but I should be boss and today I proved it by chasing the hens all over. I got in a small fight with one of them she was bigger than me so I backed off. My question is why do I feel this way? It's like I woke up a different roo from yesterday and I went crazy after the girls and I feel more roostery. Please help
thanks Zeus
p.s. Arent I handsome?! I should be head rooster.

View attachment 3338576
Awwww - you're such a cutie pie :) like an appaloosa horse!

Insulate the house if possible (heating bills get x4 (or even more) vs summer (no air conditioning) costs, wood burning stove is nice. Insulate your body outside. Snow boots, down coats, felted wool coats, sheepskin coats, dressing in layers, same with trousers. Going from warm car to warm inside (if you don't have to/choose to be outside all day). Keep a travel kit in the car (plan it like car is stuck/engine won't work), including food, water, blankets, shovel, sand (or other traction assistance), matches, flashlight, etc.

Cold weather, nope.View attachment 3338633Getting more white stuff now.
Oh no! the dreaded white stuff - run for the hills!

I only wanted chickens. Two of each breed. Twelve in all. Turkeys would have been impossible for me.
Hey I only want 2 or 3 silkies as pets.... now look at me! A bakers dozen and a mix of everything!

Insulate the house if possible (heating bills get x4 (or even more) vs summer (no air conditioning) costs, wood burning stove is nice. Insulate your body outside. Snow boots, down coats, felted wool coats, sheepskin coats, dressing in layers, same with trousers. Going from warm car to warm inside (if you don't have to/choose to be outside all day). Keep a travel kit in the car (plan it like car is stuck/engine won't work), including food, water, blankets, shovel, sand (or other traction assistance), matches, flashlight, etc.

Cold weather, nope.View attachment 3338633Getting more white stuff now.
Oh yes that is so true - having emergency gear in your vehicle in cold climates. I always carry booster cables, first aid kit, fire extinguisher, extra clothing, winter boots, gloves, hats, my insulated overalls, flashlights, emergency cones (you know those traffic cones they use in construction); snacks, and a whole bunch of other items just in case. My truck also has a CB radio as many of the roads I travel are logging roads and you are required to 'call out your location' while travelling them so that big trucks all know where everyone is. There is a real knack to calling :)

Sleeping Beauty Tax
Everyone is tucked up sleeping so soundly - sort of makes me want to set off the camera's alarm hahahahaha - MEAN KELLY! I would never do that to my chickies, my sister and her kids yep - but never my chickies
ya all asleep.JPG

FYI that string is the pull string to turn on/off the light in the Hen House - I can turn it off when I have all the other lights on in the horse stalls. The gals like it darker to lay their eggs apparently - see how well they have me trained?

Back
Top Bottom