No, no rats. I have a fenced run, so feel we are safe from foxes and I would definitely notice if a wolverine was in my coop! :eek:
Just wanted to see if I got any bites with that one hahaha.

Could be that they had an 'experience' in the dim light at that time of day and now like a child afraid of the boogeyman under the bed they have this fear....

I have a horse like this, she will come in and out of the barn all day, but in the evening she gets all riled up - silly horse.

Thanks Alex and everyone for your best wishes. It was really sad losing her but she was so sick. I wish they wouldn’t hide their illnesses but I get why they do.
I hate hearing chickens pass away. Hopefully Grandma and Tony help you feel better. As we speak, I can't do any heavy work like clean the house though. I'm still resting!

Attachments

• IMG_4156.jpg
    IMG_4156.jpg
    595.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3572.jpg
    IMG_3572.jpg
    464.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4034 1.jpg
    IMG_4034 1.jpg
    710.8 KB · Views: 1
It was very cold today but we did venture out quickly to grab some kitty photos and give the chickens treats and some free range time. We only last about 45 minutes today. It was about 4pm and I decided lets just herd them back into coop a but early so I dint have to come back out in the cold in an hour and half to shut the door. Well oh my goodness they went in without to much trouble but oh my did I get very loudly bawked at. I swear they were yelling: human we have and hour and 28 minutes left to be outside this is unacceptable! Chickens sure do have strong opinions goodness who knew??
Speaking of kittens, an extra kitten decided to come in our yard. I don't have a photo but this gray kitten returns once a month and that cream colored cat always wants something to eat so we hide our stray kitten's food in the chicken coop sometimes, especially when it starts to get cold. The chickens don't mind.

Confused by the hens!

The hens have been in the same coop since day one (they are 2.5 years old), but starting this fall/winter they have been reluctant to go in at the end of the day.

I tried turning on a light and that seemed to help, but this evening once again they were all gathered by the front door as the sun was setting. They have been locked out several times when the auto door closed and I don't know why they don't just go inside! :barnie

This evening I had even sprinkled scratch in the doorway and just inside the coop, but nope they were not going in!

Finally I went outside and entered the coop through the people door and they slowly ventured in worriedly while I sat inside watching. They were making unhappy nervous sounds, not a full on alarm call, but concerned and they were all joining in as they looked around.

I left them once everyone was in and checked in later and they were all roosted.

Earlier this week it was cold, so they chose not to go outside. Today was warmer and I shoveled paths for them since they don't like walking in deep snow and they spent the entire afternoon outside. Usually there's a reason why they do things that I don't understand and I am sure that is the case now, but I wonder what it is! 🤔

Clara and Penny checking out the trail to the compost bin:
View attachment 3340319
Maybe a rat? Do you have any type of surveillance system?

Introducing our new girls

We’ve just been to the zoo and purchased three (hopefully) pullets (not sure how old; ‘a couple of months’ is the best I could get). They are:

Angel (named and chosen by my son)
D3801FD4-54DF-42D4-AE0E-BE171A1C1F38.jpeg

Bella (left) and Gizelle (right)
4FAB0BAB-3F58-4834-8C11-6DC5B43DEFF7.jpeg

They’re a barnyard mix, which is what I wanted. I think Bella is the one making baby-peeps, she could be about 16-18 weeks old. She’s tiny and has some Frizzle in her.
They are soooo cute! I can’t wait to get to know them!

Ask Aurora

Our very first question comes from Diana.

View attachment 3337054

Diana asks:

Dear Aurora,
I am the ruler of my little tribe but Bernadette keeps taking my roosting spot. I peck her on the head but she ignores me. She jumps on top of me and she is very big. She has no manners.

What can I do?

Diana

Diana,
I am going to make a guess that you have achieved your lofty position through survival and attrition and not through ambition and action. It is clear that this insolent tramp Bernadette has no respect for her betters, including you. My guess is that you have one of these soft humans who dotes on you all and wishes “everyone would just get along”. Don’t listen to her. She knows nothing about the way of chickens. I am going to provide you with some advice that I hope you are hen enough to appreciate.

First and foremost, Niccolo Machiavelli said it best when he said, “He who wishes to be obeyed must know how to command.” It is clear you do not know how to command and do not have the respect of your lessors. So how do you gain the respect of your lessors? I can sum it up in one word.

FEAR

They need to fear you. More importantly, they need to fear your capriciousness. Attacking out of the blue for no apparent reason over nothing is a great way to engender fear and gain their respect. This needs to be a constant campaign. My second in command is much larger than me but is a sweet lady. Everybody loves her. They call her Hattie the Nice. She used to tell me to stop taking her food. Ha! I took it anyway.

How was I able to crush her and become Queen of my Tribe? I tried fighting her one on one, but like Bernadette, she was larger than me and others helped her because she was nice. However, I constantly harassed her and when the opportunity arose to pass her, I seized it. I now spend time every day attacking her for no reason. She must be constantly reminded that I am her better. To quote the great Machiavelli again, “It is much more secure to be feared than to be loved.”

You pecking Bernadette in the head only at bedtime when she takes something that is rightfully yours is pitiful. She does not fear it. I’m sure you give up after a couple of pecks and accept that she has taken what is yours for the night. Have you ever just thrown her off the roost for no reason? Try it sometime. It feels amazing.

I hope for your sake you take my advice and begin your campaign of fear soon. If not, it is certain that someday a hen with ambition, like yours truly, will come along and depose you as I did with Hattie the Nice. In fact, this Bernadette kind of reminds me of someone. You better get her in line quickly or you may suffer the same fate that Hattie did.

View attachment 3337057
@micstrachan I think you missed this!

Back
Top Bottom