I make 4 large loaves:
two packets of yeast - start it rising in warm water with a teaspoon or so of sugar

Melt margarine/shortening - a 'bowl' - a bowl full (lard shortening give a beautiful texture) but I use becel margarine now.

5lb of flour - dump that into a large pan and add 1.5cups of sugar or less if you don't like sugar... more if like it sweeter... blend it well.

have a small saucepan with warm water ready.

also have extra flour on hand if your mixture gets too soft/sticky.

once the yeast has activated (foaming and rising up in the warm water), dump it and the melted margarine/shortening into the flour/sugar.

Start blending this sticky mess all together using your hand, (try to use one hand and the clean dry hand for turning the pan, adding water, or additional flour) and slowly add water from the saucepan (I put dribbles in). If it gets too wet grab a handful of flour and sprinkle it onto of the dough and keep blending/kneeding.

If too dry and crumbly add water - sometimes all I need to do is dabble my fingers in the water in the saucepan and keep mixing.

The dough should be smooth and elastic like that old style plasticine. Once it gets like this use both your hands to get a good kneedimg action going!

Once its blended and smooth and lovely sort of roll it into a ball in the pan, cover with a dish towel and wrap it in a quilt put some place nice and warm, to rise for an hour or so (or until I remember about it hahaha!). It needs to double in size at any rate.

Once risen Kneed it down and them let it rise again.

After an hour or so, it ready to put in the bread pans - I make 'buns' for my bread - 3 buns for each loaf - others just make a smooth loaf.

When it’s in the bread pans Cover in the bread pans and let rise again, till its about double in size.

Preheat the oven to 350F and once its at 350 throw the bread in the oven, it will continue to rise a bit more till the crust forms, about 20 min in turn it so that it's baking evenly - this is even more important I just found out with that gas oven!!!

At around 40 min (less for smaller loaves) check to see that the crust is a golden brown and when you tap it the crust is solid. My loaves I leave in for 45 min as they are very large loaves!

This is the pan I use - it’s one you would use for doing dishes, it’s large enough for me to make the four loaves at a time. And the yeast I use come in three packets I use two of the three packets for four loaves.
View attachment 3340315

hahaha - I never measure anything - I just throw it into a pan and mix it up!
How much margarine/lard?

Confused by the hens!

The hens have been in the same coop since day one (they are 2.5 years old), but starting this fall/winter they have been reluctant to go in at the end of the day.

I tried turning on a light and that seemed to help, but this evening once again they were all gathered by the front door as the sun was setting. They have been locked out several times when the auto door closed and I don't know why they don't just go inside! :barnie

This evening I had even sprinkled scratch in the doorway and just inside the coop, but nope they were not going in!

Finally I went outside and entered the coop through the people door and they slowly ventured in worriedly while I sat inside watching. They were making unhappy nervous sounds, not a full on alarm call, but concerned and they were all joining in as they looked around.

I left them once everyone was in and checked in later and they were all roosted.

Earlier this week it was cold, so they chose not to go outside. Today was warmer and I shoveled paths for them since they don't like walking in deep snow and they spent the entire afternoon outside. Usually there's a reason why they do things that I don't understand and I am sure that is the case now, but I wonder what it is! 🤔

Clara and Penny checking out the trail to the compost bin:
View attachment 3340319
Has something gotten into the coop? Lemming, vole, rat?

Dear Aurora,

I really think I should be top hen. I mean, I’m the biggest and I’m the only one here with feathered feet! But that Bridge is just not having it. I swear sometimes she scares me with her dirty looks so much I shudder! Even though I’m bigger, I cannot challenge her. All the other hens look up to her. Why can’t they see my potential? Is there anything I can do to take her seat? Here’s a picture of me on the top roost in the upper level of the coop. Of course Bridge kicked me off. Please help.

Frustrated,
Buttercup

View attachment 3340452

P.S. Aren’t I fabulous?
View attachment 3340457
Yes you are absolutely fabulous! Esp your black tail feathers!
SHRA:View attachment 3340462
Mum was trying to take a picture of sissy (the kitty), but she ran when I came over to play with my sister. 🤷‍♀️ 🤷‍♀️ I can't imagine why my sister doesn't want to play with me///I always ask...but noooo.....
View attachment 3340463

I know, this is a repeat, but I just like this one

View attachment 3340464

Two more jailbirds escaping over the fence!
And more beauties! Love those wattles :)

They may hear the ermines trying to get in at night (even if they can't/don't - the chickens hear them/know they are there), and it may be making them nervous. If I remember correctly, they are most active at night. When I had the raccoons coming around regularly, the girls were always upset, and laying dropped off, too...even though they didn't get into the coop. They are prey animals and are acutely aware when predators are frequenting their area. ? might it be that? Are there weasel/ermine tracks in the snow around the coop? I would check for mites, too. When I had my first ever case this year, the clue that something was wrong was that most of the chickens in that coop didn't want to 'go to bed' at night...once I discovered what it was and got rid of them, they started willingly going into the coop at night again and roosting. (yes, @BY Bob that is a coop where nearly everyone roosts INSIDE:rolleyes:) I assume that we got them from wild birds, as we had a ton of sparrows around this year...and I didn't have issues with my other coops. - though I treated them when I treated the other coop to be safe.
What did you treat the coop with?

What about a skin for the luggage. They make skins for everything else...nails included...
Yes I saw many of those - I can always get mum to sew up one for me - but then I need to remove it to get inside the carry-on. Maybe I can get a plain one and have someone stencil on a chicken motif...

Back
Top Bottom