I think it is from a desire to be as high up as possible, and safe (so not in front of the window). If you had the top level all the same, I wonder what would happen?
I would like have a conniption fit with all my silkies up high hahahah!

Seriously though - that is what I am thinking. Oh they love roosting in the window at night, it's annoying as they poop on the window ledge and I have to clean it - ewww! Not bad with the regular doodoo - but those cecal poops :rant

I am going to put a droppings board in the window frame made of plastic so it's easy to clean haha! I have even had the girls that are good flyers go up into the smaller window I have. I will need to fix that one also.

I am planning on re-doing the nest boxes when I get home and putting in a ledge, rather than a roost, with steps up to it. That should make them all happy and hopefully they wont try to cram into one location.

snuggle.JPG

I am very thankful this morning to say that me and Rosie both got some much needed sleep last night. She still has a low fever of 99.8, but she did not wake up throughout the night gasping for air several times. Her throat and ear are still bothering her but not as bad and I have her also gurgling warm salt water every time she is up. To tell you all the truth, I'm in a way relieved this time around she is running a fever as long as it does not get out of control. Where she normally never runs one it seems like it takes her longer to recover from illnesses, maybe this time around it will be different. She is eating ok and right now her drink of choice is warm chicken broth so I am not worried about her getting dehydrated. I have once again had to hide the Lysol spray from grandma. I did leave out the Clorox wipes so she can use them. Rosie came into the kitchen yesterday morning to get a Gatorade and grandma grabbed the can and started spraying everything. She did not spray it in her face like last time but she still managed to choke her up and cause a coughing fit.
Oh Grandma - don't do that!

Well Rosie will learn to keep clear of her I guess. Which is sad, but better she isn't affected with her breathing.

I am so glad that Rosie is feeling better, hoping you don't get sick either!

Today is BP 189/99 yes higher. But how do I know that my BP cuff is still accurate? I’m doubting it’s usefulness
If you still have the instruction then it will tell you if it need recalibrating. Many times it's cheaper to buy a new one rather than get it calibrated. My grandmothers would need calibrating if the decreasing numbers skipped more than 5 digits when using the cuff.

A relaxed puddle
IMG_20210903_142229.jpg

Find out what day is their hatch day. :jumpyThey usually estimate conservatively when taking orders. For example, Meyer Hatchery, you can call Monday mornings (their hatch day for chickens) and see what they hatched extra of and order then. But...need to call fairly quick, or those get snatched up, too! Sometimes you can call Friday (I think they candle before going on lock-down) and can sometimes get some for the Monday hatch even though that breed may have been listed as 'sold out.':jumpy

But, obviously, no guarantee you can get some, nor the amount you want nor b reed you want...but it is worth a shot. Can you call Performance Poultry and find out their hatch day for chicks? :idunno :idunno
Yes I will call them when I get home.

I was just playing around with the check-out cart and it only lets me select 5 of each! I now have 15 pullets in the 'cart'... :th

Why can't this be easy? I want 2 of each: Welbar, Bielefelder, Cream Brabant - that makes 6 chicks - not 15!! gaaaaaaaa!

I guess I can sell the ones I don't want - sheesh! we all know how that will end - what crazy sort of chicken math is this anyways? 13+15= too many chickens!

I'm going to try putting curtains and golf balls or eggs on the bottom of the nest boxes. Maybe I can at least get them in the neighborhood. If that doesn't work, maybe i will put a new box by the door and let them declare victory. View attachment 3399281
Oh yes try curtains - I have curtains in my boxes and they prefer that.

I just stapled some fabric onto the front, you can see that top box has an egg and a golf ball in it :):
snuggle.JPG

Being worried about the chickens is a stressful thing.
Are they eating right?
Are they sick?
Do they have everything they need?
Are they cold 🥶?
Why do they fight so much?
And other issues
Are they eating right? Give them Layer or All-flock and they will be fine - and some treats every couple days.
Are they sick? No - your chickens do not look sick - they look good to me.
Do they have everything they need? Food, water and you - so YES they have everything they need.
Are they cold 🥶? NO - it isn't -10C so they are NOT cold. You might feel cold but chickens are far more hardy than you or I.
Why do they fight so much? They are chickens - it is The Way of the Chicken. Let them be.
And other issues Don't trouble trouble, till trouble, troubles, trouble.... in other words relax, and enjoy their antics!

You are doing an awesome job as a chicken keeper - no need to worry or stress or fuss.

Back
Top Bottom