Bridge?
Yes it looks small but comfy. What about height? I've noticed something. Each time I happen to catch the hens here laying when I open the back, when the moment comes to push it out they stand penguin-like. It's tall enough in there (plus some) for them to do that. Popcorn did it today. First they are sitting, nesting, throwing bits on their backs, gathering bedding, and clucking away, or silent, still, and intense-looking. But when Popcorn was actually laying she stood up, then got in a penguin pose. She even walked forward a couple steps, twice. Then the egg came out. She resumed her normal standing stance, turned and left (probably because I was there). Is this normal, or is this a bad sign?
This is totally normal. They loose balance pushing it out. :) And it is actually completely normal to stand up, they always do(unless a few don’t for some reason) you may also hear them squeak and cry while doing so, also normal. This doesn’t mean that it’s painful! They just make a little squeaking noise.

Every hen i have ever had stands up very tall, squeaks, takes some steps, then lays an egg.

Last edited:
Bridge?
Yes it looks small but comfy. What about height? I've noticed something. Each time I happen to catch the hens here laying when I open the back, when the moment comes to push it out they stand penguin-like. It's tall enough in there (plus some) for them to do that. Popcorn did it today. First they are sitting, nesting, throwing bits on their backs, gathering bedding, and clucking away, or silent, still, and intense-looking. But when Popcorn was actually laying she stood up, then got in a penguin pose. She even walked forward a couple steps, twice. Then the egg came out. She resumed her normal standing stance, turned and left (probably because I was there). Is this normal, or is this a bad sign?
Yes, this is normal - I have witnessed multiple chickens in the final stages of lay. This is called standing in oviposition - when they stand and are 'in position' to actually lay.

Honestly, with humans, it is actually somewhat unnatural to be laying on your back to give birth. traditionally, a woman would squat - a bit more of a natural position to push from (though, now at my age, I don't think I could bear being insa squatting position long enough to give birth anymore!)

Bridge?
I have caught my gals laying eggs all the time and yes they stand up straighter, and the egg plops out after a few pushes.

Gave me while new appreciation for the egg laying process, it can’t be an easy thing at all.

Last edited:
Yes, this is normal - I have witnessed multiple chickens in the final stages of lay. This is called standing in oviposition - when they stand and are 'in position' to actually lay.

Honestly, with humans, it is actually somewhat unnatural to be laying on your back to give birth. traditionally, a woman would squat - a bit more of a natural position to push from (though, now at my age, I don't think I could bear being insa squatting position long enough to give birth anymore!)
You are correct, they used to have birthing chairs, my friend had one and it was a solid wood curved seat, with holes in the sides of the seat to grip during the actual pushing.

I have seen my hens standing upright during the final stages of the laying process. It gives me nice feeling to know they trust me to be there and to then settle back down and rest after what I can only think of as a strenuous process.

Actually I think you may be right - Eli got overheated today and had to dunk her head in the bowl of wild water to cool down.
She got all revved up and was digging like a wild thing in the full sun and then kept running laps and flying around. She skidded to a halt by my feet and was panting and then went and dunked and calmed down.
I have no idea what was going on!
Youth…. If only we could bottle it 🥰

Had my gang out digging around a bit, they were running up and down chasing imaginary butterflies I am sure ha!

Back
Top Bottom