Twirp is eating!!! Hector is crowing outside and Whiskey is answering.
Music to my ears! I am so glad she is eating, ok one step at a time I guess. Do you have any plan for tomorrow? I guess you really can’t keep them all locked away 😟 I imagine the dogs will be gone home though.

I really cannot check the Marans eggs early on. I try to but it is near impossible. 18 days in you should be able to tell with those dark eggs. If there is a chick in them they will be all black, if they are duds it seems then they light up like a Christmas light. I am so excited and have everything crossed for several pullets from the power couple.
Well if Henny hatches all 6 eggs I will be happy, I hope I haven’t given her too many.

Bad Blanche chased her off the nest a while back, the brat! Henny went and dust bathed ran around a bit then I brought her back onto the nest.

She snuggled down and I made sure all the eggs were tucked under her.

Well, the birds threw a monkey wrench into my feeding plans. Hector was crowing outside near the patio again, with Whiskey answering vigorously. I figured time to let him out and see check Twirp over again. Took lid off and scooped up Whiskey to set him on the patio just outside the door. He promptly started fighting to get back inside. Twirp, meanwhile, flitted up to perch on the edge of the tote. She then took herself on out the door. Whiskey instantly stopped fighting and went with her. She left a VERY watery poop on the patio, then they scooted on out to the pea hedge to join the rest hanging out there.

I grabbed phone and headed out to see how they were doing. Other side of the hedge (actually fairly close to Quartz's feathers)View attachment 3677023Pear is the dark patch in front of them. Hector off to the left, Cheetah to the right (both off frame). Twirp was grooming her feathers. In her usual inimitable fashion, she made her wishes clear and exerted her independent spirit.View attachment 3677025View attachment 3677027
Inside the hedge, even Castor is guarding them.
View attachment 3677028
Well guess she knows best! Gosh these birds are going to give us all grey hair.

❤️❤️❤️

I think go with 6 - 3 Marty, plus the others. Hedge your bets on getting at least one power couple pullet. Otherwise, I agree with @rural mouse
Yes that is what I went with, hope it’s not too many for her.

Oh and Penelope laid another egg today, smaller than the first.

Hers is the tan coloured one - she used to lay light blue eggs.

99C1DFF0-6811-46E9-A76D-7F7496AA3540.jpeg

And Fluffy laid one also.

Catching up just a few days, and what an emotional rollercoaster. Virtual hugs to @Lilion, @rural mouse, and @Marie2020.

Pony Sunday. See you the arabian and his mini donkey friend Trotrot that for once stayed inside with him, still in the mountains with the first frost, but they are stabled at night.
(Gribouille the old horse is still with the cows, and they are on pasture on the place next to ours this week so we see them a lot 🙂.)

View attachment 3677095
Today was a rainbow day. Rainbow weather feels like a metaphor of chicken keeping - a mix of dark and gloomy with sun and cheers and beauty. Hoping that all of us having sad chicken happenings will get a piece of rainbow 🌈.
View attachment 3677097
Lovely - photos and well wishes 😁

Back
Top Bottom