yes! cream legbar! now I'm going to have to force feed her since she dose not want to eat.
Does that happen every time she is broody? I use to remove Phyllis from the nest, then she would start to eat etc. Otherwise she would sit there all day. But I did not have to force feed her.

I do think she needs to hatch chicks to be satisfied. Last year she almost died being broody. I think if she hatches she'll have some nice chicks to put an end to her going broody.
Or you could just go to TSC and get some. See if they have any breeds you like. Although I wanna see what your chooks babies would look like.

Yes indeed. My first Princesses fought hard for the end by the wall. I have been surprised how easily Bernie has let Tassels/Calypso sleep up against the wall. She certainly has not ceded top spot (though she needs to keep an eye on Tassels), but seems relaxed about roosting.
Blanche and Penelope always try to roost on the top of the nestbox shelf that is about 2” higher than the roost ledge - Penelope always takes the corner spot many times with Sophia snuggled up with her.

In Hen House B, Raven and Sharpie take the spot at the end of the 4x4 beam up against the back wall. Snuggled in together 😊💕

Truly is colicky

Came out late to feed and do chores and found Truly down in her stall, I wasn’t sure what was going on but just wanted to watch her, she got up after a about a minute.

So I did chores and fed as usual, but Truly just didn’t seem right, so I have her some pain meds figuring she was achy with her arthritis.

She wouldn’t eat her hay but I figured I would just keep any eye on her.

Back at the house I logged back on to the camera and she was down again and rolling - so back to the barn I went. I got her up and started walking her a bit to stop her rolling. Horses can get a twisted gut if they have gassy distended bowels.

So here I sit now in the dark with Truly standing quietly in the alleyway me on my lawnchair watching over her. As long as she is quiet she can stand there calmly.

Meanwhile I will sit here freezing!

View attachment 3773206

Yep that’s Truly and I in the alleyway.
I pray she comes through this quickly. :hugs :hugs :hugs

What causes it? I don't know a lot about horses.

Tax
Hattie teaching Glynda the wonders of napping.

20240314_123532.jpg

Oh Lord my heart was racing reading that!
But wait. Did I miss something? You lost Jessica and Thing? How did I miss such a tragedy. I am so sorry!
😢
Damn fox.
Thing I mentioned in October ish when it happened. Jessica I said nothing about. The deep cold occurred immediately after. Losing a bird to feed a wild critter is something I understand and can let go (within reason). Losing half the flock because the whole pack came through (with unusual weather coming, yes it happened) is also understandable, but I'm shooting critters if possible. Marauding animals killing for the sake of killing makes me angry (has also happened). Both Jessica and Thing are missed, but the angst isn't there. Even yesterday....I understand it. It's part of life. The fox is trying to feed his family. Snatching right in front of me....not so good with. Birds light up, I usually go running out Castor's door on the patio. 22 is sitting right there, and it's going with me. I hope I dont have to use it, but if something trying to snatch, I'm going to try to get a shootable angle in. If I'd had the 22 yesterday, I probably would have lost the bird while getting the shot off...and thanked her for her sacrifice keeping the other safer. Today, I'm truly grateful I don't know which girl it was. Pippa, Maizie, Havoc, Enigma, Chia, Shan....I'm truly grateful they're all safe and equally grateful I didn't register which one was almost breakfast.

I finally managed to stay awake long enough to get Sylvie off the roost after dark. I gave her a bit of a foot soak - only a few minutes - and then had a good look at the toe that is missing a toenail.
I think it is fine. She may even be regrowing a bit of a nail. It is a bit hard to tell because of the scales - but one looked like it was the start of a nail.
While I had her all bundled up I had a go at filing a nail using one of those electric dog nail trimmers (I got it a long time ago for the cats who won't let me anywhere near them with it!).
All I can say is that I hope Bob and Pony are correct and I don't need to do anything - because trying that on Bernie would not be easy!
Does anyone use clippers rather than a file? Her toenails didn't look much tougher than Nightshade's who I can clip (sometimes).
I will wait and watch Bernie's foot and hopefully won't need to intervene.
I also tried to correct the Babs roosting situation. I started by removing the flat panel heater - so she roosted on the mounting bar for the heater. I could remove that - or maybe cover it with cardboard. In the meantime I got Babs to stand on my hand and brought her down to roost next to Bernie. Hopefully she stays there!
Oh, I completely missed all of this. She lost her toenail? She will grow it back. I had a Guinea roo last year who lost his and it was dripping blood for a while before I could stop it, and his toe is completely grown back. Feel better soon Sylvie!

Back
Top Bottom